Volvo no longer going to make gasoline only engines... end is near!

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
And that is what I don't understand. I have 0 interest in Lincoln. I should be their target market. The blue hair ladies only have so much longer to exists.

Exactly, other luxury brands have been successful in capturing a younger market, yet keep something in the lineup for the old ladies with electroplated hair. Why did Ford save Lincoln to only continue pumping out uninspired cars that don't stir the soul? Guess they are only interested in selling rebadged SUVs in China.

I agree. They aren't very inspiring. The only new one I would consider buying would be the new navigator. But even then I'd buy a used one if they depreciated too quickly. I'd buy a used continental around 20k. Many other cars above 20k I'd much rather have.

I imagine the Lincoln's have a large profit margin as they do minor exterior updates, minor power train updates, and interior updates.

Lincoln sales have been increasing the last few years. They sell 7-10k cars a month. Much better than the 5-7k a month they were selling 7 years ago. I imagine even with large profit margins, those sales numbers limit project scope quite a bit.

CV355

_
Established Member
FWD version of the 4l65? Then yes, it's garbage. The 6l80-90 and the 8spds seem to be much stronger.

Yes. The 2nd gen + XC90s are stout vehicles. The first gen had the transmission problems and it actually turned into a lawsuit.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I agree. They aren't very inspiring. The only new one I would consider buying would be the new navigator. But even then I'd buy a used one if they depreciated too quickly. I'd buy a used continental around 20k. Many other cars above 20k I'd much rather have.

I imagine the Lincoln's have a large profit margin as they do minor exterior updates, minor power train updates, and interior updates.

Lincoln sales have been increasing the last few years. They sell 7-10k cars a month. Much better than the 5-7k a month they were selling 7 years ago. I imagine even with large profit margins, those sales numbers limit project scope quite a bit.
It's not minor upgrades to the Continental. It has a stand alone engine and the interior is top class, rated one of the best interiors for the luxury class, and there are no shared body panels. You have to give it more credit than that.

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
It's still badge engineered, starting it's life off the fusion platform. Atleast the luxury Hyundai/Kia's are RWD to better compete with their German counterparts. Looks like Lincoln is targeting Acura with their FWD/AWD(FWD biased) vehicles. That works on a $30K Fusion, not so much a $60-80K luxury vehicle. $60-80k, I'm buying an E or 5 series.

Sn95Snake

Established Member
I don't think the gas engine will be gone for at least 15 years. While I am sure it will become less and less, I don't see it going away from production entirely for a while.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
The handwriting is on the wall, the days of the ICE as the only source of power is over. Hybrids will probably be the normal drivetrain with electric only options. To all of those that decry the change....Get Over It.
There will be performance variants of any drivetrain, just as there is now. The on-demand torque of an electric motor coupled with advanced batteries and more efficient generators tied to high performance engines will make the Demons, GT500s, and ZL-1s look like the Special Olympics compared to the real Olympics.
There is a reason that a carbed big block is no longer the engine of choice for performance. The future is here, embrace it.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The handwriting is on the wall, the days of the ICE as the only source of power is over. Hybrids will probably be the normal drivetrain with electric only options. To all of those that decry the change....Get Over It.
There will be performance variants of any drivetrain, just as there is now. The on-demand torque of an electric motor coupled with advanced batteries and more efficient generators tied to high performance engines will make the Demons, GT500s, and ZL-1s look like the Special Olympics compared to the real Olympics.
There is a reason that a carbed big block is no longer the engine of choice for performance. The future is here, embrace it.
But the rawness :(.
Driving fast in something that doesnt make sound? Lots of business out of business

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member

Must have stock in Volvo? Don't see it happening anytime soon.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
It's still badge engineered, starting it's life off the fusion platform. Atleast the luxury Hyundai/Kia's are RWD to better compete with their German counterparts. Looks like Lincoln is targeting Acura with their FWD/AWD(FWD biased) vehicles. That works on a $30K Fusion, not so much a $60-80K luxury vehicle. $60-80k, I'm buying an E or 5 series.
That's pretty much how every manufacturer operates. You can't say one car is great and another sucks because they share a platform. What exactly is wrong with the Fusion platform anyways when all it is doing is providing the basis of another luxury vehicle that aside from that, has all of its own components. Do you think they didn't have tye Continental and other vehicles in mind when they were developing the Fusion? The Continental wasn't an afterthought.

snakecharmer

Established Member
Just one more reason why I will never buy a Volvo. I don't want any of that hybrid nonsense in my driveway, I don't care who makes it.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
That's pretty much how every manufacturer operates. You can't say one car is great and another sucks because they share a platform. What exactly is wrong with the Fusion platform anyways when all it is doing is providing the basis of another luxury vehicle that aside from that, has all of its own components. Do you think they didn't have tye Continental and other vehicles in mind when they were developing the Fusion? The Continental wasn't an afterthought.

MB/BMW share nothing with a lower level car. Not saying the Fusion isn't a great car at it's price point, but the Continental is not a great car at it's price point. There are better alternatives.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Outside of the continental not being sporty, I don't think I have heard anything negative.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Outside of the continental not being sporty, I don't think I have heard anything negative.

For $45-55K it's not a bad car at all. You start pushing $60-80K and there are much better/proven alternatives. I remember how bad the last Continental was with FWD and a V8.

Users who are viewing this thread