Volvo no longer going to make gasoline only engines... end is near!

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Stands out as in looks just like the 10 I just saw roll down the road 3 minutes before? lol
I see mostly white ones and they stand out.

36ab82a877a3062c34e90edb4fb55f76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
Who buys Volvo anyway? Not car people unless maybe an old V70R wagon or S60R or the super old school Volvo cars. New Volvos have been boring for a long time.

Before I bought my S40T5 in '11, I checked out several BMWs first. The Volvo was just "simpler" and that suits my taste better. But to your point, I don't see a lot of Volvos floating around.

The XC90 is like their flagship vehicle now, and the earlier versions came with a faulty GM transmission that was prone to failure. That didn't help matters.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Before I bought my S40T5 in '11, I checked out several BMWs first. The Volvo was just "simpler" and that suits my taste better. But to your point, I don't see a lot of Volvos floating around.

The XC90 is like their flagship vehicle now, and the earlier versions came with a faulty GM transmission that was prone to failure. That didn't help matters.

4l65?

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I get that, but if someone rolls up to me and says "I just got a new Mercedes", I think, "Very nice!".

Same guy rolls up and says, "I just got a new Volvo", I think, "cool man, good on you". It's like SAAB used to be. Just not what I'm looking for when looking to spend $50K + on a luxury car.

I'm with you on that. They don't make a single product that strikes me as interesting, or that I would consider spending money on.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I just built a loaded continental and it tops out just under $80k.

I think that's too much, but I also think pretty much every car in that segment is overpriced.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I just built a loaded continental and it tops out just under $80k.

I think that's too much, but I also think pretty much every car in that segment is overpriced.

Ford had the opportunity to make the Continental a really cool car....suicide doors. Instead they gave us another glorified Taurus/Fusion product. The car has as much appeal to me as the high end Hyundai/Kia's....it doesn't.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Ford had the opportunity to make the Continental a really cool car....suicide doors. Instead they gave us another glorified Taurus/Fusion product. The car has as much appeal to me as the high end Hyundai/Kia's....it doesn't.
They are in a tough spot with the chassis. They don't really have anything else to build it on and if they wanted to design suicide doors that would meet/exceed impact ratings, they would need to spend enormous money on it that the market likely won't pay for.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Meh Lincoln/Ford missed the mark with the Continental. You don't bring back an iconic car to only use an old existing platform shared by the Taurus/Fusion and charge premium price. That's ****ing low rent shit right there. They should developed a new platform for that car, preferably RWD. They also should have brought back a Lincoln Mark coupe, in this case wouldn't mind seeing it based on the S550 platform. There is nothing even remotely exciting about Lincoln, it just needs to die.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I thought I remembered reading Ford didn't design the Continental fort the us market. They made it for China.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
That's even worse, bring back an American icon to focus on selling in a foreign market. Think they are going to have a hard time selling a gussied up Taurus at that price point in any market.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Meh Lincoln/Ford missed the mark with the Continental. You don't bring back an iconic car to only use an old existing platform shared by the Taurus/Fusion and charge premium price. That's ****ing low rent shit right there. They should developed a new platform for that car, preferably RWD. They also should have brought back a Lincoln Mark coupe, in this case wouldn't mind seeing it based on the S550 platform. There is nothing even remotely exciting about Lincoln, it just needs to die.

this. I'd be highly interested in a Mark based S550 with a supercharger, something to compete with Caddie's V line. A new LSC. Lincoln's clientele is dwindling and they've done nothing to capture the younger market. Every product is badge engineered.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
That's even worse, bring back an American icon to focus on selling in a foreign market. Think they are going to have a hard time selling a gussied up Taurus at that price point in any market.

It was an Icon in the 60's with vert and suicide doors. Became a fancy LTD in the 70's, and an overgrown Taurus in the 80's-90's. Ford has done a poor job with Lincoln. I'm old enough to remember the Versailles, Granada based farce.

http://www.lincolnversailles.com/images/vershome2.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ford has said they have no interest in making performance luxury vehicles.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
this. I'd be highly interested in a Mark based S550 with a supercharger, something to compete with Caddie's V line. A new LSC. Lincoln's clientele is dwindling and they've done nothing to capture the younger market. Every product is badge engineered.

This is where Cadillac has really done a great job re-branding/re-inventing themselves.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
And that is what I don't understand. I have 0 interest in Lincoln. I should be their target market. The blue hair ladies only have so much longer to exists.

Exactly, other luxury brands have been successful in capturing a younger market, yet keep something in the lineup for the old ladies with electroplated hair. Why did Ford save Lincoln to only continue pumping out uninspired cars that don't stir the soul? Guess they are only interested in selling rebadged SUVs in China.

Users who are viewing this thread