VMP TVS Setup questions

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
I'm getting ready to place orders in the next few days and would like to get some feedback from owners of the TVS. My goal is 620+ WHP. I will only be running 93 oct because I have no access to E-85. I would like to be around 18-19 PSI. My current engine mods are: fluidyne heat exchanger, upgraded coolant overflow tanks. Catless exhaust, EGR & PVC deletes. JLT Intake.

Would the best pulley options be a 3.2 upper and 4lb lower combo or just a 2.8/3.0 upper and stock lower?

I will Prob just go with the Accufab TB Plenum. I would go with GT500 Plenum setup but that is more $$ than I'm willing to pay right now.

Thanks for any advice

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm getting ready to place orders in the next few days and would like to get some feedback from owners of the TVS. My goal is 620+ WHP. I will only be running 93 oct because I have no access to E-85. I would like to be around 18-19 PSI. My current engine mods are: fluidyne heat exchanger, upgraded coolant overflow tanks. Catless exhaust, EGR & PVC deletes. JLT Intake.

Would the best pulley options be a 3.2 upper and 4lb lower combo or just a 2.8/3.0 upper and stock lower?

I will Prob just go with the Accufab TB Plenum. I would go with GT500 Plenum setup but that is more $$ than I'm willing to pay right now.

Thanks for any advice

Or a 3.3 upper and 4lb lower

A 3.2/4lb will get you about 20lbs
3.3/4lb will be about 19lbs
A 2.8 will be about 18-19lbs.
I would suggest a 2.8 for your goal.
That should get you over 600 easily.
A free flowing exhaust will help.
You can always add octane and increase the timing if you want max effort for the track.
Rick

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Any advantages to having a lower ? Or would the 2.8 feel the same as the 3.3/4lb? I loved the low end torque of my G2 2.3 whipple (3.2/4lb lower) on my last cobra

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
Any advantages to having a lower ? Or would the 2.8 feel the same as the 3.3/4lb? I loved the low end torque of my G2 2.3 whipple (3.2/4lb lower) on my last cobra

Boost is boost no matter how it is generated.
19lbs is 19lbs.
You will notice a big difference between your prior blowers torque and the VMP TVS 2.3

03cobrajc

Established Member
I'm running 3.2/4lb lower with catless mid pipe vmp's hi flow elbow which comes with blower and lightning force tb and that netted me 19.9lbs boost and 626hp and 601ft.lbs torque

Low end torque is amazing. I didn't realize how much the vmp torque was better than other blowers until I did a 20mph roll race against a 2.8 kenne bell making 680hp and my car still got jump and stayed a front bumper ahead whole race.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Go with a 3.3" upper and 4# lower for your desired boost level....you'll love the torque! :)

Will the torque not be same with just running the 2.8? Since the 2.8 & 3.3/4lb make the same boost

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
A 3.2/4lb will get you about 20lbs
3.3/4lb will be about 19lbs
A 2.8 will be about 18-19lbs.
I would suggest a 2.8 for your goal.
That should get you over 600 easily.
A free flowing exhaust will help.
You can always add octane and increase the timing if you want max effort for the track.
Rick

When it comes to the fuel setup:
Can I get by with 60's ,VMP 3000 MAF and the VMP Fuel pump booster (Or KB BAP) ? or should I go with leathals Budget return setup?

TRBO VNM

Doing the lower you will make more torq than not doing the lower. Boost is boost, but depending on the pulley combo, it will affect the torq #.

I have done 3.3/4# and 3.2/2# as typical combos on the TVS. Finishing up a 3.2/4 tomorrow and going to be ordering another one that the guy just wants to do an upper.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
Doing the lower you will make more torq than not doing the lower. Boost is boost, but depending on the pulley combo, it will affect the torq #.

I have done 3.3/4# and 3.2/2# as typical combos on the TVS. Finishing up a 3.2/4 tomorrow and going to be ordering another one that the guy just wants to do an upper.

With your experiance, would you say that the 3.3/4# combo is my best bet? I want the combo that will produce the most torque safely on 93 oct. I will be ordering the TVS Monday and want to make sure to get the right pulley.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I think the 3.3 upper and 4# lower is going to be your best bet. With your stock manifolds this is going to net you between 18-19 psi. Since you are on pump gas this is the most I would feel comfortable running. Granted people on here have ran over 21 psi and 93 and have gotten away with it.

The high hp TVS cars seem to run 4# lowers, so I think its safe to say that is the most popular choice. Keep us updated on your project.

Last edited:

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I run a 4lb lower because I used it with the ported Eaton many years ago.
Had a VMP TVS since 2008

TRBO VNM

With your experiance, would you say that the 3.3/4# combo is my best bet? I want the combo that will produce the most torque safely on 93 oct. I will be ordering the TVS Monday and want to make sure to get the right pulley.

As stated by a couple others, do the 3.3 and 4#.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I like Senkaks advice....stick with the 2.8 upper and factory caged lower....you will meet your goal and not take any unnecessary chances of seeing issues running a lower can create. Not everyone has a drag only car....charging and crank snout health might be important to some.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
My car with a 2.6 upper, stock lower and stock exhaust made 608 on 93 pump and 647 on 110 race gas.

What dyno was used? Dang I was hoping to run a 3.0 upper only on 92 octane and hoped to get around 600rwhp. I'd be running the GT500 inlet/tb combo, along with a return fuel setup.

EDIT: I missed the stock exhaust part.

JRS03

Whipple FTW!!!!
Established Member
I went ahead and placed my order with the 2.8 upper with accufab inlet. Hoping for atleast 620ish and 590 rwtq

Users who are viewing this thread