VMP Triple pass HE install

XP900

Established Member
Starting install in my garage. Anyone have a power schematic for this? Did not get any directions in the box so I am using their instructions on their home page and a few forum posts. I don't see any power diagram anywhere which would be nice.

In the NE so I am wiring up a switch since it appears fans are hardwired on from what I read and I don't need them on all the time. Anyone ever put in a thermostat somewhere to auto turn them on when needed too?

HKusp

Established Member
What do you need to know exactly? I am in Maryland and daily drive mine to the tune of about 20k miles a year. Mine run all the time.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Most coolant fans relays have set points a lot higher than you'd want on your heat exhanger as they're mostly made for engine cooling systems. Mine run with the pump and my set point is 70 degrees. So it essentially runs all the time. I may take a couple minutes on really cold days to fire up.

Stangra

Established Member
If you really want to have fans at all, why not run them all the time? Unless you're running an ice tank and don't want to warm the coolant with ambient air. The colder your coolant the better it works.
Better yet, get rid of the fans altogether. They only produce airflow equal to a 10-15 mph driving speed, if you're driving much faster they start to impede flow through the H/E, and the faster you go the worse it gets. IMO unless you mostly only drag race your car and need a faster cooldown between pulls they're just in the way, even then ice is a better solution.

See "Why you probably don't want fans on your heat exchanger":
TECH | Department of Boost

XP900

Established Member
Thanks. I read the TECH4 and they do make a case for no fans but hopefully VMP did some testing on their own with their larger HE size.

I figured out the wiring and know where to splice. I want to be be able to turn the fans off independently of the pump and also be able to run then both without the engine on. Wasn't hard once I metered the wires out.

XP900

Established Member
This issue in the VMP instructions threw me for a while...until I decided I was routing it the way it came from the factory.

VMP instructions:
Run the passenger side hose (this hose runs from the bottom port on the lower intake to the passenger side upper port of the VMP DFTP HE) over the top of the frame rail.......

On my 2010, that hose is actually attached to the upper port on my lower intake which is the port closet to the passenger side. Since the coolant flow direction is not changing I am keeping it attached to the "slightly" upper port on the intake just like it was from the factory. Otherwise I would be somewhat xcrossing the hoses right at the intake ports.

Maybe the later model years used a redesigned intake that the instructions referred to.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Or your intercooler was routed backwards. The flow direction has never changed from 07-14.

Coolant flow.jpg

XP900

Established Member
VMP instructions need to be re-worded because they are somewhat misleading.

Now I see why they say lower....they should reference the hose port and not the IC port since your plugging into the top hose ports and not the actual IC ports.

It's not that obvious which hose port goes to which intake port unless you carefully get a light try to follow the channels in the aluminum.

The higher hose port actually plugs into the lower IC intake port.

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
The heat exchanger went through some changes between 07-12, but the rest of the system was unchanged. The 13-14 moved a little larger pump and mounted it to the front of the engine from the top of the heat exchanger.

XP900

Established Member
I have the plumbing all done but what I really don't like is the cheap pump mount. I installed a Craig 9105 for a little more volume and it has the same exact measurements so it fit the aluminum bracket. This bracket flexes pretty easily and I wondering how long it will last without cracking if it is flexing all the time while driving. I think a steel or very heavy plastic bracket may have been a better solution ...may redo that part.

Zoren

This issue in the VMP instructions threw me for a while...until I decided I was routing it the way it came from the factory.

VMP instructions:
Run the passenger side hose (this hose runs from the bottom port on the lower intake to the passenger side upper port of the VMP DFTP HE) over the top of the frame rail.......

On my 2010, that hose is actually attached to the upper port on my lower intake which is the port closet to the passenger side. Since the coolant flow direction is not changing I am keeping it attached to the "slightly" upper port on the intake just like it was from the factory. Otherwise I would be somewhat xcrossing the hoses right at the intake ports.

Maybe the later model years used a redesigned intake that the instructions referred to.
Hey pm me

Users who are viewing this thread