VMP Stage 1 - install questions

Stangra

Established Member
I wanted to double check on the oil seal install into a new timing cover. I took a quick look and it wasn't obvious to me. I can't look at the existing seal as its blocked by the balancer.

Is this the correct orientation, or do I flip it 180? If installed this way, I assume the metal portion sits flush with timing cover edge when installed?

View attachment 1576465
Looks correct in the photo, pressed in till flush.

cheeser

Established Member
Looks correct in the photo, pressed in till flush.

Looks like the picture I showed is the incorrect way....the spring portion faces the engine...that's the way it was installed in the original timing cover. Glad I bought two.

I managed to break the plastic dipstick tube....broke just under the valve cover. I noticed that it is curved....when I install the new one...which way does the curve go...i.e. which way should I point it?

Last edited:

cheeser

Established Member
Getting closer...blower on and calling it a night.

Instructions provide guidance in connecting a new vacuum tube from the supercharger bypass valve to cold air, but doesn't say which end goes where??

Tube has one end with a single 90 degree connections, while the other has two 90s (goes one way, then up). Just curious as to which one connects where?

I don't have the CAI on yet, so it wasn't obvious.

cheeser

Established Member
I seem to have a new problem...unable to call VMP due to time.

Getting ready to bolt the throttle body on, but when I went to install the supplied orangish rubber gasket, I noticed neither the throttle body, nor the mounting surface on the blower has a groove in it (like the valve covers and front timing cover).

As a result, there doesn't seem to be a method to actually hold this gasket in place. I tried just fitting it to mounting service, but that wouldn't work either.

I wonder if this is the incorrect gasket...need a flat one such as this one??

https://www.vmpperformance.com/Throttle-body-gasket-VMP-2.3L-TVS-for-GT500-5.0L

vmp_throttle_body.jpg

cheeser

Established Member
57692DD8-6167-4F54-AD9B-783DD9AEEDAE.jpeg
Put it on the dyno today. With 82mm pull and 60mm throttle body here in Denver, made around 558 rwhp.

A bit lower than expected, but assume the tune is conservative, plus Denver elevation. Still a decent jump from stock.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Did you datalog it? If so how much timing are you running?

For elevations that's really not bad, I would guess the car is only making 6-7 psi at your current elevation.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cheeser

Established Member
I was in a rush and didn't datalog this session...I plan on doing that next week.

TVSed GT

Established Member
Did you datalog it? If so how much timing are you running?

For elevations that's really not bad, I would guess the car is only making 6-7 psi at your current elevation.

Agree with this, I think I’ve heard around .5 psi lost per 1000’ of elevation increase so you’re probably down 50hp from what you’d see at sea level. Talk to vmp but a smaller pulley would likely still be safe on stock motor given you’re up with the mountain goats.

Riptide

Established Member
SAE figures are supposed to be altitude corrected aren't they?

On a stock gen1 coyote I'd not bat an eyelash running a 69mm pulley on that car if the gasoline is decent. It's gonna take that to trap 128-130 at your altitude. You may want to look into a mosaleen or hasty bracket with the pulley.

I ran a 72mm pulley at 3800' to trap 128 on pump.

cheeser

Established Member
I'm ok with the setup...I may be driving it to Las Vegas / Wisconsin and don't mind the slight power drop for here.

One recommendation from the local shop that ran the dyno and seems to be one of the local mustang tuning experts (based on input from others) was to setup up to a larger throttle body (67mm?) and a slightly more aggressive tune. He seems to be quite familiar with modular motors.

I did encounter an issue in driving from Denver to Steamboat Springs for the local Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup. Car ran great for the entire trip (180 miles one way) until I came up Rabbit Ears Pass (elevation 9400ish feet) where the "wrench icon" lit up and it went into "limp mode." I have never encountered this issue before and didn't know what the heck was going on. I was able to coast to the bottom of the pass where I turned the car off and then back on...issue went away. Hooked up a reader and didn't pull any codes. Didn't have a problem the rest of the weekend for the autocross event, nor the drive back home today.

Last edited:

TVSed GT

Established Member
I'm ok with the setup...I may be driving it to Las Vegas / Wisconsin and don't mind the slight power drop for here.

One recommendation from the local shop that ran the dyno and seems to be one of the local mustang tuning experts (based on input from others) was to setup up to a larger throttle body (67mm?) and a slightly more aggressive tune. He seems to be quite familiar with modular motors.
I'd 2nd the twin 67 throttle body, I got mine with the kit from vmp and seems like a great piece. Not sure what the pickup would be but I'm sure it'll help especially if you're looking to dial it up in the future

cheeser

Established Member
5054C42C-A4CC-467E-A9DF-1DADEFD20E35.jpeg

Setting up LiveLink to perform a datalog via the VMP instructions, but having a problem finding two of the data points. I included a snapshot of what I found and selected.

- Air Control temp 2 F (or downstream): can only find “air control temp F” under the environment section. Is this called something else in another section...maybe the IAT2 which I believe is air temp after blower.

- Intake air temp F: can only find this using Celsius...there is an IAT2 in Fahrenheit, but thought that was the added harness soldered to a PCM wire for air temps after the blower.

I assume VMP is looking for air temps before and after blower...think the IAT2 covers the after blower temps in Fahrenheit, but the intake air temp is only available in Celsius...unless I’m overlooking it.

Last edited:

TVSed GT

Established Member
View attachment 1581066

Setting up LiveLink to perform a datalog via the VMP instructions, but having a problem finding two of the data points. I included a snapshot of what I found and selected.

- Air Control temp 2 F (or downstream): can only find “air control temp F” under the environment section. Is this called something else in another section...maybe the IAT2 which I believe is air temp after blower.

- Intake air temp F: can only find this using Celsius...there is an IAT2 in Fahrenheit, but thought that was the added harness soldered to a PCM wire for air temps after the blower.

I assume VMP is looking for air temps before and after blower...think the IAT2 covers the after blower temps in Fahrenheit, but the intake air temp is only available in Celsius...unless I’m overlooking it.
They can send you a config file with everything they'd like to see so you dont have to create one

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Send me your email and I'll send you the config file I use from AED. It has all the major parameters, it's the one I see for my TVS tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread