VMP Intercooler Pump

KINGCarnge

170 of 2003 10th Anniversary
Established Member
Are any of my VMP cobras friends on here running the VMP UPGRADED INTERCOOLER PUMP KIT? Been thinking of getting rid of the Bosch pump for the VMP. Also planning on replacing the stock stat for a 170° one.

Just curious if it’s worth it. Defiantly wouldn’t mind some feedback before I purchase it.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Gotta be careful with pumps and the smaller factory lines and fittings (especially at cooler brick).
I know the stock ‘13-14 Peirbug pump was WAY better than any previous stock SVT pump and even most aftermarket pumps.
Link to the kit?
-J

KINGCarnge

Established Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Actually that looks similar to the ‘13-14 pump and the description about 30% more than the earlier GT500s sounds similar. Still I’d like to know the exact pump.
Looks good tho on price and VMP knows their stuff, I run their cooling upgrades and their blower.
-J

KINGCarnge

Established Member
Actually that looks similar to the ‘13-14 pump and the description about 30% more than the earlier GT500s sounds similar. Still I’d like to know the exact pump.
Looks good tho on price and VMP knows their stuff, I run their cooling upgrades and their blower.
-J

Thanks bud. I’ll probably order it tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

KINGCarnge

Established Member
Keep us posted. I'm curious about it as well.

Ordered the part yesterday and it should be here Thursday the 18th assuming this weather does not delay it. We had some crazy weather here in Texas so I spent yesterday exchanging emails with VMP. They recommended me change out the thermostat with a 170° while I'm at it. Still have the stock one on. Said they need to know for the tune.

Maybe I'm paranoid but it seems like my car runs hotter (doesn't over heat) since I swapped out the Eaton for the Gen3 VMP.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
You might be feeling more heat radiating from the blower when you pop the hood. I do know just adjusting the fan temps for the 170 t-stat made a difference in how the engine felt when I popped the hood after a drive. The PO installed the 170, but never adjusted the fans to match.

KINGCarnge

Established Member
You might be feeling more heat radiating from the blower when you pop the hood. I do know just adjusting the fan temps for the 170 t-stat made a difference in how the engine felt when I popped the hood after a drive. The PO installed the 170, but never adjusted the fans to match.

They told me that when I order the tune to let them know that I have a 170 stat and VMP intercooler so they can make the necessary adjustments. I'm guessing that means the fan settings. I don't know much about tuning. Was told the pump and stat made a big differences on the 13/14 GT500's running cooler over stock pump and stat. Besides the supercharger I am also running their 5' intake kit with the matching GT500 TB and elbow with tune. I'm hoping to pick up some good HP.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Very nice parts selection, you’ll love a sorted TVS Cobra.
Next time try and ask for the exact pump in this kit.
I could text Justin but I don’t want to bother him :) plus it’d be good for guys here to know.
-J

FredK03Cobra

Established Member
I've been running this pump for a couple of years. When my OEM pump died, I installed this kit with an Afco cooler and Canton/Moroso tanks. The pump is a GT500 model, modified by VMP. Installed without issue, and has been working fine ever since.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been running this pump for a couple of years. When my OEM pump died, I installed this kit with an Afco cooler and Canton/Moroso tanks. The pump is a GT500 model, modified by VMP. Installed without issue, and has been working fine ever since.

Did you have to run a bypass line like what the 13/14's have? Or do the stock lines slow things down enough to keep the coolant from aerating in the tank?

FredK03Cobra

Established Member
No bypass line. Not aware of the issue that you are asking about. But, there was never any suggestion of inserting a flow restriction in the system. That is a conversation you might wish to have with VMP.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
No bypass line. Not aware of the issue that you are asking about. But, there was never any suggestion of inserting a flow restriction in the system. That is a conversation you might wish to have with VMP.
It's not a restriction. From everything I've been reading the 13/14 set up runs a bypass line between the inlet and outlet. It turns the tank into just a degas tank to get rid of any air. Apparently the newer pump moves enough volume it essentially turns the coolant in the tank into foam without a bypass.

Maybe it's not an issue with stock intercooler and lines because it cuts down on flow just enough. It would be interesting to see it with one of the new intercoolers and some big lines.

I did talk to a guy a couple months ago with a Coyote swap in a 96 Cobra. He was running a DOB set up with a Trinity blower I believe. He had had 13/14 pump with the bypass and he said his temps were usually close to ambient. I know the DOB set up flows really well so it's not really a apples to apples comparison. He was actually the one that got me thinking about going with this pump.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What is the difference between this pump and the 13/14 GT500 pump?

I'm pretty sure this is the 13/14 pump. But it comes with the adapter harness and a clamp to mount it to the car. My quick searches showed the pump without the harness was about the same amount.

SKREWED

Just pulled off my old OEM pump and have this VMP one ready to go in. My question is how exactly did you mount it with the strap they give? Did you take off factory pump mount since it’s too long and not wide enough to fit this pump? Any info appreciated.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IIRC I opened the holes in the clamp and used the bolt that holds the pump bracket to the car. I didn't use the stock bracket at all.

Users who are viewing this thread