VMP Gen 3 on a 2014 Coyote

WIST2013GT

Established Member
So which one do you prefer the vortech car or vmp? I'm asking because I am possibly thinking about doing a built motor with cams for the vortech or ripping everything off and going vmp

I will give you my honest feedback.

Street manners - The Vortech unit was much tamer down low and allowed the car to get out of the hole a bit better. General driving is nearly the same (same tuner did both cars too).

Drag Strip - I was pretty surprised at this one. They are very close. I will say the VMP "feels" faster because it makes more torque early on, but as far as actual track times, they were close. The VMP car definitely 60 foots better due to low end power, but again that only really helps on the track. The street was a great equalizer.

Power delivery - The main issues I had with the Vortech was the MAF location was finicky and it would heat soak. I have not noticed those issues with the VMP setup. I'm not sure if the Vortech intercooler wasn't big enough or if the VMP water setup is just better. Back to back pulls with the V3 on the base pulley lost 30whp. I have not seen this with the VMP setup.

Overall I would say that I went with the "cheaper" route the first time and this time I got what I really wanted and it really didnt make the car faster (on the street) or better in any way. Both setups make enough power to hurt the gen 1 and both ran similar times at the track. They both cruised nice (I get almost the same MPG even) and were both easy to install. I think they are both aesthetically pleasing and they both have pretty easy maintenance schedules.

Now.... What I will tell you is that I wish I had gone turbo like everyone says. I think that I will end up there when I build the motor. There is just something about the way a turbo car pulls compared to the linear power bands of the blowers. Oh well, live and learn.

WIST2013GT

Established Member
Just wanted to update this post with my new times. I'm car 803.

Attachments

• 10-4-20 Track Day Best Pass SMALL.jpg
    10-4-20 Track Day Best Pass SMALL.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 142

68gtscode

Established Member
Very nice- congratulations on the 9 second pass! Your comparison between the VMP and Vortech is also very interesting... Not what I expected to hear!

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
congrats! 9s is an achievement. Glad to see some more stock gen1s in the high 130s for mph in the 1/4! What psi is this pulley? 9?

Users who are viewing this thread