Vmp 2.65r

protint03cobra

Need some advice first time posting on here. I currently own a 2003 cobra with a VMP Gen2 2.3 considering purchasing their new 2.65 R. Has anybody made a switch like this and was it worth it and how much power did they pick up and If any I’d greatly appreciate any feedback thank you

OSU34

Established Member
Depends on your set up. Are you running E85? More info would be helpful. Also what are your goals?

protint03cobra

Depends on your set up. Are you running E85? More info would be helpful. Also what are your goals?
Going to be installing lethals budget return fuel system with new idx1050 injectors so yes it will be tuned for e85 looking for the most power possible.also has stock block

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Similar boat thinking of dropping the 2.3 in the spring. Boost drops off by a few PSI up top, guessing due to the cams getting into their sweet spot or possibly intake tube restrictions. Thinking about the newer Whipple 3.0. Already have the supporting gear just questioning how far over 700 is useful if I don't plan on ever really going to the strip. Possible road course, think the larger blower might less heat.

Soap

Established Member
Going to be installing lethals budget return fuel system with new idx1050 injectors so yes it will be tuned for e85 looking for the most power possible.also has stock block

Both the 2.3 and the 2.65 will be limited by your injectors on ethanol. You are only going to make 725+/- on ethanol before those 1050's are maxed out.

So if you are "looking for the most power possible" then you need to run some larger injectors before you up the boost on either blower.

--Joe

zredfire04

Established Member
For max power, go turbo. The intercooler under the blower is a limit to power and one reason you rarely see 800hp+ terminators.

If you want to stick with a blower on top, gonna need to rebuild the engine for more compression, ported heads, cams etc to exceed 800. There's a gen3r out there on a 1k hp setup, but everything has been done to it to get there.

wckdvnm

Established Member
For max power, go turbo. The intercooler under the blower is a limit to power and one reason you rarely see 800hp+ terminators.

If you want to stick with a blower on top, gonna need to rebuild the engine for more compression, ported heads, cams etc to exceed 800. There's a gen3r out there on a 1k hp setup, but everything has been done to it to get there.

That may have been true a few years back but there are now two new intercoolers out that are both larger and deeper from VMP and J2fab. There are gen 5 whipple’s that are making over 1k hp on stock blocks, heads and compression with some off the shelf cams. The new gen 5 blower is no joke.

OSU34

Established Member

That’s untrue. There are plenty of people running 800+ without built motors.

zredfire04

Established Member
That may have been true a few years back but there are now two new intercoolers out that are both larger and deeper from VMP and J2fab. There are gen 5 whipple’s that are making over 1k hp on stock blocks, heads and compression with some off the shelf cams. The new gen 5 blower is no joke.

All true.

Also true: $5500 for the blower and another $1800 for the intercooler and adapter block. At that point, you're not too far from a hellion turbo kit, or less for a more budget friendly one.

That’s untrue. There are plenty of people running 800+ without built motors.

Bunch of TVS2650s doing 800+ on stock motor?

Stangra

Established Member
That may have been true a few years back but there are now two new intercoolers out that are both larger and deeper from VMP and J2fab.
Unless you want to wait about a year only one of those choices is available, and it ain't J2fab.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
All true.

Also true: $5500 for the blower and another $1800 for the intercooler and adapter block. At that point, you're not too far from a hellion turbo kit, or less for a more budget friendly one.

Which is a whole other can of worms. From what I've seen even the Hellion kits need work to be 100%. It's one of the reasons I stayed centri on my 01 Cobra.

OSU34

Established Member
All true.

Bunch of TVS2650s doing 800+ on stock motor?
I’m sure there are. I had a 800+ whipple 2.9 on a stock motor with head studs. There is a point when you need to, but there are plenty of 800 hp cobras out there without the work you mentioned that needed to be done.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Unless you want to wait about a year only one of those choices is available, and it ain't J2fab.

Yes that is true it was only for the point of there has been recent improvements to the inter cooling system so that hurdle when making big power has been crossed.

zredfire04

Established Member
Kinda my point....800ish hp is about as much as you're gonna get with the factory intercooler and stock motor.

If you're looking for the most power possible (which the op is) there are better choices than a blower swap is all I'm trying to say.

Venom351R

Established Member
Kinda my point....800ish hp is about as much as you're gonna get with the factory intercooler and stock motor.

If you're looking for the most power possible (which the op is) there are better choices than a blower swap is all I'm trying to say.

I know of plenty of 800+ Builds on the stock engine and definitely do not need to port the heads. The stock heads flow quite well and other than studs there's not really anything you need to do if you want 800+

As far as the actual post I did not swap from a 2.3 to the 2.65R, I went from the Eaton to the VMP. I'm quite happy with the results, I'm on pump 93, stock lower, 3.3 upper. First pull was 700 but was backed down due to being too lean on 93. Final number settled at 676 / 640. On Torco I'll easily break 700 considering it did on 93.

Attachments

• Dynosheet.jpg
    Dynosheet.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 114

wckdvnm

Established Member

It’s still easily possible with the newer supercharger tech to get to 800+ easy. The gen 5 whipple has been shown to be able to make over 1k on a stock motor plus cams; and over 800 on completely stock motors.

DCguy

Established Member
Above is correct - 800whp on stock longblocks on these cars is pretty common place these days with blower technology advancements and an E85 setup. Just headstuds needed.

There are multiple 1000+whp cars on Gen3r's.........one is on a stock longblock and stock heads as mentioned above pushing 29-30psi of boost. The blowers aren't the limiting factor, put it that way.

zredfire04

Established Member
Maybe one of the folks that's done it will chime in.

I'm going off of info from someone else about the intercooler being an impediment to significantly exceeding 800.

For 30 psi to make 1k hp, you'd need roughly 350hp naturally aspirated. Tall order for a 281 @ 8.5 static compression ratio...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Not my car, but one of my Mystichrome brethren. And I've seen the car in person. It's nasty. And he drives it.
Screenshot_20211024-171410_Instagram.jpeg
Screenshot_20211024-171427_Instagram.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread