Vmp 2.3 vs Eaton plus pulley and tune

SammyP

Established Member
I purchased a gen two 2.3 vmp blower with a setup including kenne bell boost a pump, accu fab throttle body, 60 lb injectors, maf. My car is stock as of now other than a cold air intake and exhaust. I enjoy it the way it is but its time to start modifying and enjoying it a bit more. Before making the leap to the vmp I am thinking about swapping the pullying and tuning it as I see the results from some people on youtube and kind of want to experience it. Anybody have an opinion on it or should I just move onto the vmp blower setup. Thanks, any help or comments are appreciated.

Sammy

rymax101

Established Member
No need to compare, tons of data out there... Any after market blower is way better than stock

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SammyP

Established Member
No need to compare, tons of data out there... Any after market blower is way better than stock

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Not to compare if it is better, the vmp will outperform it no doubt. Is the experience and increase of just a smaller pulley and tune worth it or much of a difference over stock?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
+1 go straight to the big blower if you've already got it.

Stock you might trap over 110.

Unported, upper-only eaton you can trap 120+, which is a very nice increase.

But you'll go 130+ with that new blower.

cbehr

Established Member
I'd pulley for stock blower for a year or two and see what it's like. In the meantime send me that 2.3 I'll put it to to use...

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you are unsure as to whether or not you really want to go with the VMP and supporting mods, then do the (Eaton) pulley and tune. Meaning if you would likely be pretty happy with, say, 450rwhp and 475rwtq. BUT, if you know you really want the additional power/torque of the VMP sooner than later, then skip the Eaton pulley/tune and go directly to the VMP setup. JMO.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If you do that you'll look back and realize it was a waste of money.

On my first cobra I wish I would have skipped the ported/pulley setup and went straight to the VMP.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

papajoewill

Established Member
+1 from what NateDogg said. You’ll pinch penny’s now to spend the same or more later. Pony up for the big blower and go from there. Much more efficient. I laugh at how many times I’ve seen that stock SCs are “HEATons”. I still have my stocker on but have a 2.65 waiting for Justin’s new intercooler to be mounted to it. Make sure when you do upgrade be cognizant of where your fuel limitations will put you because that bigger blower is designed to eat a little more than what we were given in 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SammyP

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies.
+1 from what NateDogg said. You’ll pinch penny’s now to spend the same or more later. Pony up for the big blower and go from there. Much more efficient. I laugh at how many times I’ve seen that stock SCs are “HEATons”. I still have my stocker on but have a 2.65 waiting for Justin’s new intercooler to be mounted to it. Make sure when you do upgrade be cognizant of where your fuel limitations will put you because that bigger blower is designed to eat a little more than what we were given in 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Thanks for the replies. I agree I’d be spending more money with pulley/tune...just kind of wanted to experience it since many say the increase in power is impressive. The vmp 2.3 will be installed at vmp performance, im lucky to live like 15 min from them.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
There is a flip side to this of course. I don't know how many times on this forum I've read guys who say that if they could do it all over again, they'd stop at a pulley/tune. Due to the reliability. The more you deviate from stock, the more potential for reliability issues. So I think a lot of it has to do with how you intend to use the car.

I daily drive mine, and for a long time a pulley/tune was enough to beat most cars on the street (even new cars that would come out). That's not the case anymore. Hellcats and even some N/A muscle cars that are out now will put a hurtin' on a pulley/tune terminator lol. So if you want to stay competitive, you really need a bigger blower.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There is a flip side to this of course. I don't know how many times on this forum I've read guys who say that if they could do it all over again, they'd stop at a pulley/tune. Due to the reliability. The more you deviate from stock, the more potential for reliability issues. So I think a lot of it has to do with how you intend to use the car.

I daily drive mine, and for a long time a pulley/tune was enough to beat most cars on the street (even new cars that would come out). That's not the case anymore. Hellcats and even some N/A muscle cars that are out now will put a hurtin' on a pulley/tune terminator lol. So if you want to stay competitive, you really need a bigger blower.
But then how many of those guy pulled the big blower and went back to the eaton? They usually hate it if something breaks, but love it when it works right. I've had a few times I've thought I should've left my eaton on. But now that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and can drive the car how it's supposed to be driven I don't see the Whipple coming off any time soon.

blownfox

Established Member
When I purchased my car, it had a stock Eaton but with a 2.76 pulley and made 470 rwhp. It was a fun car and sounded awesome. The Eaton screamed on that pulley. I did a VMP 2.3 blower swap within a year. On a 3.0 pulley my car made 15 PSI (same as the Eaton) and put down 560 rwhp 550tq on the same dyno. I dyno the Eaton in February and the VMP in July so there was a big difference in temp and humidity.

The VMP set up at that time was GT500 TB, 3.0 pulley, 60 lbs injectors, VMP 3000 MAF, and a VMP boost a pump.

You will need a good tire, or you will just spin. If you don’t have your bushing upgraded, a good tire will also help with wheel hop. What are you goal with your car? I would get the VMP and put a dinner plate pulley on it. When your are ready for more, pulley down for more boost.

Users who are viewing this thread