Virtual Dyno by Brad Barnhill

01bluesnake

Established Member
This is a great APP that has been around in the EVO world forum for some time and tested very accurately for dyno comparison numbers. I just got done testing this on my car and getting Brad to add in the 2011-2013 GT's. This basically uses your SCT data log by looking at the time, rpm, and tps signal to generate a whp and tq curve graph. It allows you to add on parts, make tune changes and see how it affected the car. The best part of the APP is that it is free to use. I did donate though as i hope most others would to keep good tools like this around.

If anyone runs across any issues, please post up.

You will need to go into options before loading a log, and uncheck auto trim tps. This being on hasn't allowed the graph to show for me.

Also, you must have "time" "RPM" "TPS" columns for this to function. You can add in AFR or air fuel column as well to log ratio's

Virtual Dyno

This is mine with smoothing on 1. All the car has is cat delete's, and Gt500 mufflers, the tune is a 93 tune without any cam timing. Power is just about right and the weight is a guess total with me in it.

1stdynocheck3rdgear.jpg

Last edited:

bbarnhill

Established Member
Nice!!! ... glad to be on this forum now. Now that Ive got the GT500. Now if I can find someone with a pulley tool here in Kansas City. :)

bbarnhill

Established Member
My SCT device just came in today so Im going to get some logs as soon as I can find a pulley tool here somewhere and get this pulley changed. Anyone know anyone with a tool they want to sell?

Laloosh

Established Member
My read at 438whp which seems optimistic. I would peg my car at 400-405 on a real dyno jet.

bbarnhill

Established Member
if you are showing 1800hp you might be seeing a huge spike due to clutch slipping or wheel spin ... is it a normal shaped graph?

Laloosh: have you put yours on a dynojet? This app has been proven time and time again on 17 other forums by critics to be correct. Let me know if you have a dyno sheet showing differently and we can take a look at the cause.

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
whats going on brad:banana: not sure if you remember me but we worked on getting the virtual dyno to support scanXL when I had my 2011 camaro. Good to see you on this board bro:rockon:

bbarnhill

Established Member
Its written in C# so it has to run on the .NET framework. I havent tested it but it should run on Mono. You can always use windows emulator or virtual machine to run it. I think this is what some of the guys have been doing.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OK, this is pretty slick. How do I add my a/f into the graph from some of my saved logs? I can opened the "Graph other Columns", but can't figure out how to add it. I looked through the help a little, but didn't see it.

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
Brad, so you decided to join the other side heh:D I think you had the evo before right? Can't remember exactly. Anyhow, look like the SCT guys will have a treat in their hands which are ton of them. Let me know if you need any help bro:thumbup:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
OK, this is pretty slick. How do I add my a/f into the graph from some of my saved logs? I can opened the "Graph other Columns", but can't figure out how to add it. I looked through the help a little, but didn't see it.

Figured out the a/f, but no way my upper only 03 makes this much.
VirtualDyno.jpg

bbarnhill

Established Member
Hey I can add any vehicle you guys want. I can post what I need to add one if you want? I just dont have all the time in the day to sit and research car stats to add new ones. Thats where the community comes in. Ill add them really quickly given the stats. Then I can push them out and your app will auto update with them :)

01bluesnake

Established Member
Figured out the a/f, but no way my upper only 03 makes this much.

You may want to try doing a 4th gear pull. It took a few logs for me to get it dialed in on how it likes to be run. Doing in third with how the log is measured may make the power a little higher and could also allow traction loss which can affect the chart. Also weight and tire height must be exact or almost dead on to get an accurate result.

Irb Digital

SVT Truth Enforcement
Established Member
Just downloaded. Total Noob at this, but trying to get some datalogging/tuning experience as I have some plans in the future to acquire a dyno. Brad, please feel free to PM me some tips. I have an SCT tuner for my 03 Cobra. I'm assuming I just need to data log some pulls and then import the files to Virtual Dyno?

stang910

Established Member
I downloaded this yesterday and gave it a couple runs. Looks to be pretty accurate below 5000rpm, but not even close above it. I've not been on the dyno since I upgraded my pulley, but I'm confident the graph is off . I changed the weight back to the recommended 3600 even though I have added weight from the supercharger and even used a shorter tire then what the program recommends for 275/40/19. These changes brought it down, but not enough to say it's accurate. There wasn't any tire spin either as the car was dead hooked.

dyno.gif

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Something is likely off in your settings. What rear gear do you have and what is the actual tire size and brand? Try using smoothing on one and post how the graph looks. You may also want to a 4th gear pull on anything higher power which will also give the graph a longer time file to use as a graph.

Also when doing runs for anyone, make sure air temp and baro readings for current weather are accurate as this will affect power slightly.
Best place to get you tire height or specs is tire rack as long as they carry the brand, otherwise may have to search the mfg for them.
Higher gear pulls in higher power cars will be more accurate and give a better time graph. This is no different than dyno runs, try to get as close as possible to 1.1 gearing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread