Virginia

jfitts23

Established Member
Hello all just was wondering if there are any mustang guys around Fort Belvoir, VA? Trying to get some pointers on passing these state inspections around here. i have a 91 notchback with a air bag light blinking. i ordered a clockspring but not sure if thats gonna do the trick. anybody out there can pass some mechanical skills. i'm just learning to work on my own stuff.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
if its blinking a certain amount of times i think thats a code its telling you and you could probably just look up the code on google

jfitts23

Established Member
i was thinking about that. but i belvieve they check and see if the light is working properly. if its fine it should come on at start up then go off. i'm new to this inspection things but i think they check and see if it comes on.

chopperrescue

Established Member
Inspection

Abs or Airbag light should not have an effect on the saftey inspection - I believe only 1996 and newer get an emmision test so you should be fine.

jfitts23

Established Member
they check the airbag light here in virginia. i think it has to be 20 years old for them not to check.

navyht

Established Member
They also don't like cowl hoods and want a working parking brake, to many silly rules. LOL Next time I register it will be out of state.

jfitts23

Established Member
emmisons i'm good on now. just the saftey one i'm working on now. what does a cowl hood have to do with safety? thats crazy. when i do a 5.0 swap its gonna be fun getting tested again.

navyht

Established Member
I forget the exact rules but the older the car the bigger the cowl, either way it's bs. Also, the way it is writen leaves it up to the inspector as to how they interpert the law. The reasoning behind it is it obstucts the view. For my 03 I think the max cowl was 1 1/2".

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I'm about to PCS to myer and am going to keep my registration in Georgia. No cats on the cobra!

If you are married and your wife is NOT a member of the military you have to register your vehicle in VA if she is on the title.

Also your car still has to pass VA state vehicle inspection. Here's a link:

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Here is a better explination:

Effective Safety Inspection Certificates - Vehicles registered in states having safety inspection laws must display current safety inspection stickers, either from the state of registration or Virginia. Owners with vehicles registered in states not having mandatory safety inspection requirements must present evidence of having been inspected by an authorized Virginia State Inspection Agent. Safety inspections in Virginia are required annually and cost around $10.

Last edited:

jfitts23

Established Member
well emmisions is done. still working on saftey inspection. the guy told me if i couldn't fix it that i could pull the airbag out and everything else to do with the airbag(light) and i would be good to go. i thought all vehicles had to have a airbag. i should be getting the part to fix it today or tomorrow we'll see.

jfitts23

Established Member
finally got my notch passed yesterday. emmisions and saftey. But i wanted to know if anyone was doing any cruisen this weekend. or any car events around the area

jfitts23

Established Member
thanks. do you know the times they start and end.i heard there was a test and tune on sunday in MD. anyone going too.

navyht

Established Member
People start showing up around 4 and come and go untill early evening. I not sure of exact times. Jenro's has been hit or miss as far as the turn out goes, Hardee's is usualy packed.

Users who are viewing this thread