• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Virginia Ends Lee-Jackson Day Observance

Discussion in 'Politics Forum' started by RES0574, Feb 7, 2020.

1. RES0574

RES0574 Well-Known Member Established Member

Stroszek likes this.
  2. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member

That news is not surprising. Virginia! We used to live in Alexandria, but that was many moons ago, when the political climate there was much different.

3. Double"O"

Double"O" N2S come get some Established Member

Well dems dont work anyway so giving a while pile of repubs off may backfire on them lol

4. Kevins89notch

Kevins89notch Well-Known Member Established Member

The south lost, get over it. The only stupid part is as follows...

"Gov. Ralph Northam included the measure in his 2020 legislative proposals. If Election Day becomes a state holiday, he said, it'll be easier for Virginians to vote."

How? So now state workers get the day off. So? State workers never had a problem with voting, nor did teacher. It's the single mothers, the college kids working 2 jobs, etc.

me32 likes this.
  5. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Those who do not remember the past are doomed to replete it. George Santyana

03Sssnake, me32, Lambeau and 2 others like this.
  6. DaleM

DaleM T$45GOATMAGAMen Established Member

Those that live in the past have no future.
    DaleM 2020

me32 and IronSnake like this.
  7. SolarYellow

SolarYellow Sensei Premium Member Established Member

"The south lost, get over it."

The United States also lost the Vietnam War, I mean conflict, so should we remove the memorial? Maybe get over it too?

03Sssnake likes this.
  8. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

One was a fight against communism. The other was a fight against slavery. Don't be an ass.

We should never forget the civil war. It took more lives and cost us more as a country then nearly any other conflict.. and ironically it was against ourselves. The reality is, we can't forget it. But we shouldn't memorialize it either. It's not a war to be proud of. There are museums dedicated to it as there should be. Just like you can visit Nazi museums. But Germany doesn't have a statue of Hitler in downtown Berlin either.

C-Tidda, Kevins89notch and Methodm947 like this.
  9. SolarYellow

Jesus Christ. Someone slept during history class.

Allow me to impart some knowledge into your mind: The people who fought in Vietnam and the Civil War and who were honored by some sort of tribute fought at the behest of their individual government. Last time I checked, the two men in question were soldiers. Maybe, just maybe I'd feel differently if this were about Jefferson Davis rather than soldiers but that isn't the story.

03Sssnake and me32 like this.
  10. IronSnake

IronSnake Permanently apathetic Established Member

Don't BS me with the guise of "States Rights". I am a son of the South. My lineage goes all the way back to Peter Early, one of the greatest Governors to grace Georgia. I'm related to Stonewalls right hand man General Jubile Early, and have and will continue to tote my gun loving southern self around being pro-states rights.

But the entire war was based on states rights, being that they wanted the right to enslave people in order to prop up the agricultural sector as that was our main means of income. The minute slavery is abolished would be the end of the south's economy, opening us up to Carpet Bagger's and the North's influence. We wanted no part in any of that. So yes, we fought for our right of choice. The problem I take with it is we chose to withstand that by leaning on enslaved people and our right to enslave those people.

Davis talked about abolishing slavery, but it was an extremely unpopular opinion in the Confederacy. So the likelihood of that happening was zero to nil.

11. SolarYellow

Oh you sure are something of the south alright. The south wanted to basically squash any federal laws they deemed unsupportable. Slavery is just one matter. The lack of influence felt by the south in regards to Lincoln's election was another. State's sovereignty was another, HUGE matter and arguably the proverbial straw. A southern boy should know this, right?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Kevins89notch and 03Sssnake like this.
  12. GNBRETT

GNBRETT Well-Known Member Premium Member Established Member

Well, I hope every mention of Malcom X is removed from either books in schools or statutes around the state cause HE was a violent RACIST unlike the good General doing his job at a time of war! ****ing disgusting!

03Sssnake, me32 and Lambeau like this.
  13. SolarYellow

Allow me to add another caveat: If this war was fought primarily due to slavery, why did it take close to two years for the emancipation proclamation to come into effect? The war was raging since the spring of '61.

03Sssnake and me32 like this.
  14. HillbillyHotRod

HillbillyHotRod Hooligan rabble rouser Established Member

Because Lincoln was losing and he needed something to rally support. He got it when the South lost as Sharpsburg.

15. DaleM

DaleM T$45GOATMAGAMen Established Member

Your premise is wring. It was.fought primarily to keep the union together. Politically slavery was not the reason the war began. It was an attack on a U.S. Fort by rebel forces. What became clear is Lincoln had to struggle with the priorities of recruitment and funding a war. Once settled in, the moral failings of slavery became a target.for the Good War. A war Gawd could support and pick a winner because those fighting for evil would not prevail. Lincoln wisely seen the potential of creating a schism in the South by separating its black slaves from the slave owners. The creation of black forces and freedom.for slaves.also have the advantage for the North. They gave blacks hope, a powerful weapon and ideology that is stronger than any chain and whip.
    Political decisions take time, more pressing matters were at hand, like getting armies to the field, ready, moved to the right positions, and lead by the right men.

16. BigFatMatt

BigFatMatt Ain't never gonna change Established Member

^^^This is true.

I had a US History Teacher in High School who was an African American lady. She taught us that Lincoln was willing to let the South keep their slaves, provided the South was willing to stay in the Union. This was also backed up in the history book we studied. Obviously the South refused, an indication that the war was about much more than just slavery.

I learned something new that day about the civil war. I was very surprised she was willing to teach us that and I had a lot more respect for her after that.

17. SolarYellow

Exactly. Lincoln and the union didn't give a damn about slavery and didn't care if the south kept blacks in bondage. It was signed when it became advantageous for his side.

Blown 89 likes this.
  18. RES0574

RES0574 Well-Known Member Established Member

The intent of my post was not on the basis of who won The Civil War.

Northam voluntarily matriculated to VMI in 1977, when support for the "Southern cause" was still very high, meaning they still flew variations of the flags for the CSA, etc. Further, VMI celebrates Thomas Stonewall Jackson in extremely high regard. So high, that the main arch/entry to the Barracks is Jackson Arch, and you are required as a Rat to march to TSWJ's grave on his birthday to lay a wreath (he is laid to rest in Lexington). They still flew the Battle Flag for the Army of Northern Virginia during his time there, especially on New Market Day. Heck, some of the Parade Dyke/Saber Belts still had "CS" belt buckles. You were required to march at New Market.

My point is this jackarse voluntarily selected to attend a college rooted deep in Southern pride, that held TSWJ in extremely high regard, and went out of their way to celebrate Virginia's contributions to the Civil War. He then becomes "woke" and decides to turn his back effectively on his Alma Mater. He is a hypocrite, the irony that I reference is to all of the crap he pulls concerning anything associated with Virginia's history with the Civil War and trying to eliminate it. You do not attend VMI when you are from Virginia while ashamed of the history. If he has such a strong issue with VA's history, turn in your f*****g Ring and sheep skin, and never attend another alumni event again. He should have attended W&M, Hampton University (Institute at the time) or Norfolk State. That would have fallen more in line with causes he supports, certainly not the "I".

19. Twisted2v

Twisted2v Active Member Established Member

Let’s take down George Washington and Thomas Jefferson statues as well if they fought for a country that supported slavery.

So much stupid logic with people these days.

They were generals and soldiers doing their jobs and duty. Would they now be heroes and celebrated if they deserted the Confederate army?

20. Kevins89notch

Kevins89notch Well-Known Member Established Member

Perfectly said. Plus the large number of southern states that put up statues of confederate soldiers/monuments...just happens to line up with black civil rights movements. Huh...almost like a middle finger saying, "we sure wouldn't be dealing with this had we won."