Violent hood shaking at high speed

05Frlndr

Established Member
On my home from a road trip today, about 80 miles south of home and on a nice open, long stretch of highway with no traffic so I did what most of us would do and opened the throttle. Shifted into fifth at 80 mph and didn't let off till I hit 160 (fastest I've been in my car). This was the first chance I've had to really open the throttle since my mods. Over all, I'm extremely pleased with how the car performs, however when I hit 160 I left off the throttle and immediately the hood started shaking like crazy. I held my cool but it made me nervous as hell the hood would open and hit the windshield so I pulled over.

Latch held it very well, the bolts and hinges are all tight. Everything feels and looks very solid. The part that was shaking was at the rear of the hood, closest to the windshield.

On the remainder of the trip I noticed it was still shaking and it got very noticeable above 80-90 mph. Before today, I'd been over 130 occasionally, touched 140 a couple times and this never happened previously.

Car is a 2014 Track Pack, mods are 2.9 Whipple and Kooks long tubes. Stock suspension, stock everything else.

Has anyone else experienced such a thing? If so, how did you resolve it?

1quick

Established Member
The plastic piece under the radiator support probably ripped the rear screws out, happened to me as well but I have a bmr lower radiator support so mine just had a few zip ties holding the back of it now it has a lot more zip ties and hasent happened again since

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
the rubber stoppers under your hood which are used to level the hood are not up enough, twist them upward a few times and recheck for hood shake.

05Frlndr

Established Member
the rubber stoppers under your hood which are used to level the hood are not up enough, twist them upward a few times and recheck for hood shake.

cool yeah I checked it out and I bet that's it. I'll test drive it in the morning. When I checked it out the two on the outside clearly had been in contact with the hood. The two in the middle hadn't even touched, no clean surface on the hood side so I raised them up, put some water on top and closed the hood, opened it back up and the hood side was wet so I'm betting that was it. thanks y'all.

Vert

Established Member
cool yeah I checked it out and I bet that's it. I'll test drive it in the morning. When I checked it out the two on the outside clearly had been in contact with the hood. The two in the middle hadn't even touched, no clean surface on the hood side so I raised them up, put some water on top and closed the hood, opened it back up and the hood side was wet so I'm betting that was it. thanks y'all.
Clay also works well when testing for clearance.

twistedneck

Established Member
Time for a tiger racing hood !! four hood pins..

Edit: I take that back - you have a 2014 and its got real functional hood vents already. I would put four hood pins on it and not worry again - 160mph is haulin!!

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
Make sure the splash tray underneath isn't loose or missing. It makes a HUGE difference believe it or not.

noldevin

Established Member
A friend of mine was complaining about bad hood shake and when we went for a cruise together i could see his undertray flopping around. Problem solved.

BLKSUNSHINE13

Established Member
Definitely happens when under tray is damaged. Had the same experience when my Roush chin splitter gave out at speed causing the splash shield to partially tear away. Ford Racing Boss 302 chin spoiler and splash shield alleviated the issue for me.

nate714

Established Member
Sounds like a broken lower air deflector. I had the exact same problem recently. Crawl under the car and try poke around it. If it's loose that's the culprit. It's one big piece of plastic fiber from the front of the car to the wheel wells.

evanjp

Established Member
Had the same issue too with the lower air deflector, fixed it, now hood shake is gone. It started over 75mph for me, and over 80-90 it would shake BAD. Problem solved.

wr450

Established Member
Guarantee the lower air deflecter pulled away from the dinky little screws mine did when the car was just broken in after a highway pull got a new one under warranty and promptly put quarter size fender washers on the screws won't have that problem again

corysmach1

Established Member
Guarantee the lower air deflecter pulled away from the dinky little screws mine did when the car was just broken in after a highway pull got a new one under warranty and promptly put quarter size fender washers on the screws won't have that problem again

So just put washers on the screws?

Users who are viewing this thread