• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Viking coilovers driving me mad

Discussion in 'Suspension Modifications' started by 03DSGMach1, Sep 14, 2019.

1. 03DSGMach1

03DSGMach1 10's or Bust! Established Member

So I’ve had the front coilovers installed since April and have been trying to get them setup where I want them. I’ve got compression and rebound setup where the ride feels good but when I drive over some bumps I hear a bang. Thinking the car is bottoming out.

I’ve got my factory bumpstops installed, maybe newer ones will help? This is a pic from the initial install and my buddy thinks I don’t have enough travel and thinks the shock body can be adjusted. Anyone have any experience? I’m almost ready to yank these out.

IMG_0069.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

How low is the car? Are you running Maximum Motorsports plates? If so can you adjust the spacers to give you some more up travel?

3. 03DSGMach1

03DSGMach1 10's or Bust! Established Member

The car isn’t low by any means, I think I’ve got about a two finger gap. I’m using MM CC plates right now. Not sure how adjusting spacers will help with travel, kinda new to coilovers in general

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

4. Weather Man

Weather Man Persistance Is A Bitch Premium Member Established Member

Increase the preload on the spring by rotating the bottom collar. You have it set to low, thus the crash through on bumps.

TP 112 and Black02GT like this.
  5. SVT_Troy

SVT_Troy Well-Known Member Established Member

Did you check the sheet metal around the top wheel well? MM coilovers instructions talk about bending this so it doesn’t hit the upper we shock body making noise.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

6. slo984now

slo984now AKA 01yellerCobra Established Member

If you're hitting the bump stop you can move more spacers above the plate. That will extend the strut rod up and give it some more room to move up before hitting the stop.

What spring rate are you running? I'm running 300lb springs in front and I'm low, a little less than a 2 finger gap. If you're running a soft spring you can't run it low.

7. Wings65288

Wings65288 Well-Known Member Established Member

My Vikings did the same thing at first. I realized I didn't install the spacers on top of the coilover hat and that would cause the shock to have a ton of play and bang whenever I went over a bump or in/out of a driveway. Are you familiar with the spacers I'm talking about? SVT_Troy also has a point too. I bent mine like Maximum Motorsports said so that wasn't my issue