Video: Focus RS Teaser

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I know that there is a huge crowd anticipating the release of the RS. After watching that video I have to ask - is this what the target audience is looking for? Three wheel motion? If it is, then I'm way off. If both Ford of Europe as well as here in the US agree that cell phone jawing, bubble gum snapping, drift loving, twenty-something "kids" are the target audience, then they've absolutely nailed it. I know its just a quick look and probably not meant to be taken seriously but I'd rather have seen how well it actually grips the road, doesn't torque steer (too badly), offers great fuel economy with excellent power numbers to boot. Seeing a car (video disclaimers aside) up on three wheels multiple times doesn't inspire a heck of a lot of confidence in my view.

Ubergeist

Established Member
The description of what you desire sounds like a Lexus commercial. This is for the "track oriented" RS, what better place to show it off than the track? I don't expect an advertisement of the RS going down a freeway ramp with confidence to Starbucks, then a fade in of the estimated fuel economy. I thought the teaser was well done.

Steve@Tasca

I know that there is a huge crowd anticipating the release of the RS. After watching that video I have to ask - is this what the target audience is looking for? Three wheel motion? If it is, then I'm way off. If both Ford of Europe as well as here in the US agree that cell phone jawing, bubble gum snapping, drift loving, twenty-something "kids" are the target audience, then they've absolutely nailed it. I know its just a quick look and probably not meant to be taken seriously but I'd rather have seen how well it actually grips the road, doesn't torque steer (too badly), offers great fuel economy with excellent power numbers to boot. Seeing a car (video disclaimers aside) up on three wheels multiple times doesn't inspire a heck of a lot of confidence in my view.

Nothing wrong with a smallish car lifting the inside rear tire under serious cornering, really fast small cars have been doing that going all the way back the the Mk1 Mini in the 60s. Ford has been building some of the best handling, most fun small cars ever created over the last 30+ years but we really didn't see one here until the Mk1 Focus came along in 2000.

Any solid word on the AWD yet? My only real complaint about the 2012+ Focus is the lack of a three door hatch, absolute deal killer for me. :(

-Steve

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The description of what you desire sounds like a Lexus commercial. This is for the "track oriented" RS, what better place to show it off than the track? I don't expect an advertisement of the RS going down a freeway ramp with confidence to Starbucks, then a fade in of the estimated fuel economy. I thought the teaser was well done.

Fair enough. My point was that if you are going to inspire track confidence - show it. Hoonigan-style clips attract a certain demographic, apparently one that I'm out of sync with. When I think "track oriented" I don't envision Starbucks either but rather a car that isn't all over the place. That is not to say I wouldn't enjoy disabling the same nanny controls and rolling the car end over end a few times, all in the name of fun of course.:)

Steve@Tasca

Three wheelin'

grip_zps7dyuzogr.jpg

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
pfft

[video=youtube;wJF06ZP7U2s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJF06ZP7U2s[/video]

Famine

Established Member
I for one am 32, and I'm quite excited. I think Ford is doing great things. It has been a long time since I can say I would love to have almost every model in their lineup (other than the shitbox flex). Only thing left would be to bring an accurate representation of the Falcon here to the US.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I for one am 32, and I'm quite excited. I think Ford is doing great things. It has been a long time since I can say I would love to have almost every model in their lineup (other than the shitbox flex). Only thing left would be to bring an accurate representation of the Falcon here to the US.

Well I'm excited too and I'm gonna be 30. Surprisingly, we are Ford's target audience for these cars. The people who bought the majority of STs were men in their late 20s to early 30s who made over 100k a year.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
all I care is.. if it's AWD.. If it is.. I'm buying one for Christmas

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
Excited to see this finally coming state side. I won't be able to afford one right away but hopefully in the next 1-3 years I could get one.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
For Steve@Tasca...

_______whenthreeequalsfourRS.jpg

And I agree with CompOrange. An AWD model (if they don't water it down) would be a great little car.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
For Steve@Tasca...

_______whenthreeequalsfourRS.jpg

And I agree with CompOrange. An AWD model (if they don't water it down) would be a great little car.

What is that supposed to mean? All I can think of is they advertise 300hp but in reality it's 400? Doubt that will happen though.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I think Ford saw this very thread and decided to come up with a smart ass ad that basically implies that having three wheels on the ground on this car is just as good as four on any other car.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator

Get-Off-My-Lawn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread