Veteran accidentally cuts off driver, gets shot and killed trying to apologize.

Kiohtee

Established Member
I'm going to take the high ground.

1) Veteran shouldn't of been on the phone while driving. In most cases this is illegal for a good reason, case in point. He's an idiot. Clearly he was distracted while driving and could've killed someone (possibly BMW guy)
2) Idiot BMW guy shouldn't of reacted that way, especially with your lady/baby in the car
3) Unfortunately the only conclusion out of this scenario is two fathers dead and two families widowed.

It's gonna be the unpopular opinion, mainly because of how it's worded, but you're right. I would venture a guess that it wasn't a hands free on the phone type thing because that's not going to physically distract you. Mentally sure.

Coiled03

Established Member

1) Veteran shouldn't of been on the phone while driving. In most cases this is illegal for a good reason, case in point. He's an idiot. Clearly he was distracted while driving and could've killed someone (possibly BMW guy)
2) Idiot BMW guy shouldn't of reacted that way, especially with your lady/baby in the car
3) Unfortunately the only conclusion out of this scenario is two fathers dead and two families widowed.

You're basically saying it's OK to shoot somebody based on what they could've, or might've done.

Coiled03

Established Member
He didn’t say that at all... not even a little bit...

Think what you want. You're good at that.

The post was written in a manner that suggests there's equal blame on both parties because the guy on the phone could've killed someone.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
You're basically saying it's OK to shoot somebody based on what they could've, or might've done.

Lol.

Take two completely blank, zero descriptions on two men. One man drives his truck clearly distracted and talks on his phone risking other drivers lives. He cuts off a man in his car with his wife and baby in the car.

Man who cut off other man is clearly in the wrong. He knows it. So he tries to apologize. Other man is not so reasonable, most likely infuriated at the risk his wife/19 month year old just took being cut off. He idiotically pulls a gun which is not the answer.

Both shoot each. Both die. Both ladies and kids are widowed and no longer have a father.

Nothing good came out of this because of an idiot driving with a phone in his ear, and another idiot with no sense of self control.

RALPH R

Established Member
This happens quite often down there. It also doesn't help that the island people are utterly insane. RIP to the veteran.

Coiled03

Established Member
Lol.

Take two completely blank, zero descriptions on two men. One man drives his truck clearly distracted and talks on his phone risking other drivers lives. He cuts off a man in his car with his wife and baby in the car.

Man who cut off other man is clearly in the wrong. He knows it. So he tries to apologize. Other man is not so reasonable, most likely infuriated at the risk his wife/19 month year old just took being cut off. He idiotically pulls a gun which is not the answer.

Both shoot each. Both die. Both ladies and kids are widowed and no longer have a father.

Nothing good came out of this because of an idiot driving with a phone in his ear, and another idiot with no sense of self control.

Great summary. Pretty sure everyone understands the chain of events, already.

So, to be clear, you think both men share equal responsibility in that scenario?

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Great summary. Pretty sure everyone understands the chain of events, already.

So, to be clear, you think both men share equal responsibility in that scenario?

One man started it, another man finished it. The difference being intent and escalation.

Are you implying that the vet had absolutely no responsibility to the situation? Despite breaking clear driving laws and endangering others on the road?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Think what you want. You're good at that.

The post was written in a manner that suggests there's equal blame on both parties because the guy on the phone could've killed someone.

Well, yes, I am good at thinking what I want. So are you... and everyone else in this forum for that matter.

The post was a simple analysis. An observation if you will. You then proceed to “put words” in the original author’s mouth. With your own misconceptions.

Why so sensitive about it? What statement/sentence in particular did you disagree with or feel implied that it is “OK to shoot based on what someone else could have done”?

_Snake_

Established Member
One man started it, another man finished it. The difference being intent and escalation.

Are you implying that the vet had absolutely no responsibility to the situation? Despite breaking clear driving laws and endangering others on the road?

One could easily argue that driving faster than the posted speed limit is breaking a clear driving law and endangering others on the road, no?

I’ll bet my paycheck that you’ve broken the speed limit and/or currently do.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol.

We need additional phone control laws put in place.....(he stated sarcastically)

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
One could easily argue that driving faster than the posted speed limit is breaking a clear driving law and endangering others on the road, no?

I’ll bet my paycheck that you’ve broken the speed limit and/or currently do.

This ladies and gents, is Pettifogging at best.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
This ladies and gents, is Pettifogging at best.
tumblr_mtcnp7bcJJ1schijgo1_500.gif

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
In my years of driving, I can’t promise I’ve never cut someone off of done something on the road that may have pissed someone off when NOT on my phone...apparently that means I’ve “played my part” in my own execution and just didn’t realize it.

Jesus Christ...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
In my years of driving, I can’t promise I’ve never cut someone off of done something on the road that may have pissed someone off when NOT on my phone...apparently that means I’ve “played my part” in my own execution and just didn’t realize it.

Jesus Christ...

Exactly, shit happens, the horn and flipping the bird may be warranted at most.. you don’t shoot someone over getting cutoff. The escalation to deadly force by a wannabe cloud rapper was way over the top. At least this Marine was able to return fire and take this m’fer with him.

There are road rage incidents and shootings all the time in the Houston area, think folks in general tend to be unhinged these days. Mind your manners and chew with your mouth closed is my advice.

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
Why does it matter the victim is a veteran? You know that the press story is playing that up because its PC and emotionally inflammatory to do so, and you guys are playing right into it?

I'm very politically conservative, and I've been pro-military since before it was PC to be so, and I am thankful for those that put themselves out there for me and my family. But this whole "support the troops" thing is out of control, corporate and politicized BS at this point. Being a veteran does not make it more tragic when you're a victim. And, I've seen first hand what P.O.S.'s some veterans can be; they're not all heroes deserving of extra sympathy.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member

Yeah, I agree with all this.... plus when the vet tried to approach (allegedly to apologize) the BMW guy, then the BMW guy may have perceived that as an escalation of the incident. Poor choices from all involved.

Users who are viewing this thread