Very with H&R Race Springs Bottoming Out on Everything

AnarchyVA

Established Member
First. I have a convertible. Convertibles have an X brace that hangs under the oil pan.

A few months ago I installed the H&R Race Springs. They look great. But the car scrapes on everything. Every speed bump. Fuel pump covers at the gas station. And when it doesn’t bottom out onto the X brace sometimes the tires hit the wheel well (not the fenders) from time to time. I am not impressed thus far. I’ve had lowered Mustangs before and didn’t have these issues.

I know you want to upgrade the shocks struts with these springs. But aside from that that X brace is killing me. It hits on everything. I have full length MM subframe connectors and the MM strut tower brace. I want to remove this brace. But I fear that it’s actually protecting the oil pan. The last thing I want is to bottom out on the oil pan.

Any thoughts???

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Is it a ride height issue or a driver issue? I had race springs and yes, it would scrape occasionally, but only if I had no other choice. Such as a speed bump with cars behind me. Sometimes even the angled approach didn't help.

Beyond that I had no issues with bottoming out. You need to adjust your driving when driving a lowered vehicle. You can drive straight over things that you could at stock ride height.

As for the tire rub, what size tires are you running? You might need to roll your fenders.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Isolators in or out? What struts are you running?

I had the same problem with my Eibach Pro Kit and switched to the H&R Race Springs. Still get a little scraping but not as bad. Need to change the struts to match the new springs.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Do you two have coupes or convertibles? The difference between the two is an X brace that hangs down like 2” from the oil pan.

I’ve had lowered Mustangs before. They didn’t bottom out like this one does.

boostftw05

Established Member
I have a convertible and had these issues before I threw in the MM iso's. I'm only running the bottom MM iso on the front and both in the back. It also helped that I changed to a 255/40/18 front tire and running a 305/40/18 MT ET street II in the rear, I now NEVER scrape and the fender gap still looks good.

EDIT: If your still rocking the stock shocks/struts that will definitely need to be upgraded as well.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Remove the brace. I did. No issues. I run coilovers up front now with Tokico D spec shocks and struts. Race springs out back.

Doc3379

My car (03) had H&R springs on it when I bought it a couple years ago. First thing I did was put Eibach springs on it for the same reason, it scrubbed on everything. I definitely like the way it looked better with the H&R springs, but it's only a tiny bit different with the Eibachs as far as stance goes. I don't have to worry about dragging the front end anymore and I don't have to worry about the rear fender wells eating my tires.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Well after Christmas I had a Walmart gift card and an Amazon gift card. So I bought the shocks from Amazon and the struts on Walmart.com. Saved a few dollars using the cards up.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Also have a vert and scrape often. What are the item numbers for the shocks and struts? I'm on H&R race springs and stock Bilstein shocks/struts.

Users who are viewing this thread