Very Displeased with 4" Custom Downpipe from Mighty Muffler

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
I picked up this downpipe in November, The pipe was incredibly cool looking,
Probably the most diesel looking downpipe I have ever seen. In Mighty Mufflers defense the owner was not in that day, But I called in advance and they said they would hold the pipe for me. Anyways I go and pickup the pipe on a saturday, bring it all the way home in my buddies Procharged 01 Cobra.

When my builder got ready to install the pipe they informed me that it wouldnt connect to my exhaust system (or any exhaust system unless piping was fabricated). Giving mighty muffler the benefit of the doubt I go down to the shop to investigate it myself and yes it does not connect anywhere close.

I call mighty muffler and alert them of the problem, Nelson was very cooperative and said that he would send me the necessary components to get this hooked up fine. 3 Days later my shop calls me and said all they sent were ball joints and were pretty much pointless. At this point this is seriously holding up my build so I advise my shop to fabricate up something so I could get tuned and rolling. They do so and it cost me 675.00 exta on my build for this custom exhaust.

I am now thinking to myself Yay yay yay, I am rolling rolling rolling, then last night while on the highway (smooth road people) I hear some metal scraping, I pull over to notice that the band clamp to hold the downpipe to the Y pipe is gone. I had to (on the highway) remove the Y pipe connected to my exhaust system, and put the whole thing in my car. (Note on the Saturday night where speeders and drunk drivers, and aholes generally drive).

Anyways I now have to have my shop pick up my car (bad to drive a car with just a downpipe and can risk burning and exhaust valve in the head) and find a way to reconnect everything. So far I spent 950.00 on a pipe + 675.00 now on a custom exhaust and this is the aggravation I get.

I am contacting mighty muffler on monday, Once my shop has my car together I am driving down there and I want the correct downpipe and y pipe that I was originally entitled to connect to a factory style cat back exhaust. I will make an update once I get some feedback.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
In itself driving with just a downpipe isn't inherintly bad, im running a straight 4'' downpipe and have been for over 6000 daily driven miles....but my cars tuned for it.

Sucks about the aggrevation though, but stuffing a 4'' pipe on an already cramed setup is never as easy task. Hope you get it worked out

TRBO VNM

when you call, talk to Junior. he should make it right. I know there was about a month that he was not there and that may be when you got the pipe. I know I sold a few and he did make some changes. I don't recall when that was though. nobody else that I know of really had issues except they opted to change it a little to raise it up some for additional clearance.

to connect to the catback, they send ball joints with a 3" slip fit to the downpipe/ypipe. worked fine for me.

and yeah, where did you get the info about burning up an exhaust valve? if you just needed to get it home or to the shop, there is no problem driving it like that. as posted above, people drive like that all the time.

Greg@RET

Established Member
I advise my shop to fabricate up something so I could get tuned and rolling. They do so and it cost me 675.00 exta on my build for this custom exhaust.

(bad to drive a car with just a downpipe and can risk burning and exhaust valve in the head) .

Like stated you wont hurt the valve driving the car like that. Also I would think its your shops fault for that happening. You said they fabricated your new down pipe so obviously they were the last ones to touch your exhaust?

gt347mustang

Established Member
^ it sounds like your shop should fix it if they fabricated the components to make it fit???

KingCobra10Sec

Established Member
Like stated you wont hurt the valve driving the car like that. Also I would think its your shops fault for that happening. You said they fabricated your new down pipe so obviously they were the last ones to touch your exhaust?

My shop didnt fabricate the downpipe, They fabricated from the end of the Y pipe to the custom exhaust system.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
The clamp that fell off is your shops responsibility not Mighty Muffler. Your shop would be the one to tighten it down, seems like they didnt tighten it properly.

As far as it not connecting to the mufflers. From all the threads I have seen it seemed pretty clear that you have to fab something up to make it connect to your exhaust. It should not have to cost you $675 to make that work. All they needed to do is weld the ball sockets onto the DP and they would connect to your catback. Maybe some slight cutting but nothing that would net $675

TRBO VNM

yup, they provide a slip fit 3" pipe with a ball flange welded on the end to connect to the catback. or you get a 3" catback to work with it if the catback is a slip fit.

Onelfastlride

Established Member
Dude......I'll be the first so say, fitting a 4" down pipe, not custom fabricated to that specific car, under the Kmember is a bitch for clearances.

But as far as custom fabrication to mate up the Y pipe. They supply reducers / ball sockets. Cost about $10 bucks to weld in the reducers. As far as $675 for custom fabrication......hmm......I think you need to find a new shop.

357cstang

Used to have a fast Cobra
Established Member
It sounds like you're blaming Mighty Muffler for a problem that your own shop caused.

You said:
At this point this is seriously holding up my build so I advise my shop to fabricate up something so I could get tuned and rolling. They do so and it cost me 675.00 exta on my build for this custom exhaust.

But then you say:
The new custom exhaust included bassani mufflers, and the piping is dumped right before the rear axle.

So it didn't cost you $675 extra. And it was your shop who changed things, meaning the pipe wasn't attached like Mighty Muffler had planned. That means it was attached according to the shop's custom fab job, the attachment which failed. So it looks like you should be displeased with the job your shop had performed.

I don't see any way which this was Mighty Muffler's fault.

KingCobra10Sec

Established Member
It sounds like you're blaming Mighty Muffler for a problem that your own shop caused.

You said:

But then you say:

So it didn't cost you $675 extra. And it was your shop who changed things, meaning the pipe wasn't attached like Mighty Muffler had planned. That means it was attached according to the shop's custom fab job, the attachment which failed. So it looks like you should be displeased with the job your shop had performed.

I don't see any way which this was Mighty Muffler's fault.

My shop worked it from the Y Pipe the exhaust, the failure happened from the front of the pipe.

TRBO VNM

My shop worked it from the Y Pipe the exhaust, the failure happened from the front of the pipe.

well, I still have to agree with the others. how is it mighty mufflers fault?

they use v-band clamps, just like from hellion that connects the downpipe to the turbo. sounds to me it is an installer error. maybe they didn't notice it wasn't making a complete seal or something. I dunno, but from day one that I was posting up info for the downpipe, you had to use the ball joints to mate up the new y pipe to your catback or go with a 3 inch slip fit catback. I installed one of these and it came with the small section of straight pipe and ball socket to bolt to the standard catback. we had no problems.

I hate to say it, but it appears to me your shop just wanted to make a little extra money to fab up a catback for you. the ball joints are not pointless, again, probably a sales pitch. however, now you have a 3" catback with dumps. it is up to you if you think it is worth $675.

but you did get the correct downpipe, so going back to MM won't do you any good. you were just missing the ball flanges because junior wasn't there. but nelson hooked you up.

KingCobra10Sec

Established Member
Just got off the phone with mighty muffler, they were very helpful with this issue, I am either going to try to track it down at pep boys or autozone, or just drive down there EARLY saturday morning. I would definitely like to save myself the 3 hour round tripper.

KingCobra10Sec

Established Member
Got a better clamp from MaximumPSI, They have a pretty cool shop, mainly Euro's but they are packing some serious power to give us turbo guys a run for our money

KingCobra10Sec

Established Member
Just got off the phone with mighty muffler, they were very helpful with this issue, I am either going to try to track it down at pep boys or autozone, or just drive down there EARLY saturday morning. I would definitely like to save myself the 3 hour round tripper.

Statement retracted the gave me the wrong name and part # of the clamp I didn't two more point lost might muffler, my exhaust changes will definitely not be done there now.

Tarball

Established Member
They did a fill 4-3in exhaust on my friends Cobra... not a single problem and looks amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread