Very cheap shifter mod

kom

Established Member
I'm interested in in understanding exactly what this mod is. From what I gather from your post, you removed the rubber bushings and replaced them with brass. Is that it? Where did you get the brass parts? Is it possible for you to post some photos? There are some recent posts about only replacing the shifter handle instead of the whole shifter and that did wonders. What were the brass adapters originally used for ? Plumbing supply? That's the only brass adapters I can think of right now.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Ok....so you tried both handles(stock without the rubber and new bushing and also put the pro50 handle on)? Sorry having problems understanding. :shrug:

Mowgli

Established Member
Without any rubber in there at all don't you have a ton of noise and heat transfer?

kom

Established Member
Ok its much clearer now. I'm going to do this myself before I invest in a new shifter. That my be all I need. Thanks.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
I tried Steeda handle also.It was an improvement.However don't delude yourself.The Steeda tri ax or Pro 5.0 Shifter is real improvement over the mushy stock shifter.
We waited years to get the Tremec T56 tranny and it is cheap Insurance to mate That tranny with a good aftermarket shifter.
The alum stops in the Tranny can only take so much.
For comfort sake i added an MGW handle but that is not needed for most.
Guys will powershift with Stock Shifter and buy MGW door pins and other accessories.:??:
JMHO
Jim V.

Last edited:

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
The t56 does have stops and Tremec recommends taking the stops that come in the aftermarket shifters out.

We put the Pro50 handle on the stock t56 shifter, works perfect, a bit short for my liking, but I think we will get the MGW to cure that! :)

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Moonlight96GT
The t56 does have stops and Tremec recommends taking the stops that come in the aftermarket shifters out.

Matt,,Ford recommends 5w20,;-)BMW recommends 15K oil changes, We get a lot of recommends.
We also take these cars far beyond other recommended procedures.
I don't see Steeda or Pro 5.0 telling us to remove there stops.

Jim V.

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
The BMW oil change..My son had BMW M5 and was told to bring car for oil change when a light lit on the dash..It lit up every 15K..
Imagine he turned the car in at 44K miles with only 2 oil changes.
I asked the service rep..If you bought this car would you follow that service schedule?? He just looked at me..
Where did i go wrong..I bought him a 85 Stang when he was 18..Now he drives a BMW truck..
BMW selles them off lease as 100% serviced with there 60 point checkup or whever they call it..

Jim V.

Moonlight96GT

Established Member
Tremec knows how they build their transmissions, Pro50 or Steeda doesn't. I think Tremec doesn't want you to set the stops wrong and have the tranny pop out of gear when you least expect it so they say to use their(tremec) stops. :D

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Originally posted by Moonlight96GT
Tremec knows how they build their transmissions, Pro50 or Steeda doesn't. I think Tremec doesn't want you to set the stops wrong and have the tranny pop out of gear when you least expect it so they say to use their(tremec) stops. :D

I still think useing just a handle is like a shifter with Panties..

:) :D ;-) :rolleyes: :shrug: :rolling: :-D

Jim V.:chicken:

lifter213

Established Member
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro

I still think useing just a handle is like a shifter with Panties..

:) :D ;-) :rolleyes: :shrug: :rolling: :-D

Jim V.:chicken:

:lol: yup. Damn guys, how come your trying to get out of buying a shifter? Changing the hadle aint gonna cut it for me. The Tri-ax goes in the first day i get the car.

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Tremec does recommend removing the shifter stops for the 3550/TKO, as they have built-in stop. I'm not 100% sure of the T56, though I have no reason to doubt what Matt posted.

That said, I still set the stops on my Pro 5.0 when I had the TKO in my Cobra. If done correctly, I don't see how they could be a problem, and might provide that extra bit of protection that is needed sometime.

Also, while I can't comment on the quality of the stock shifter base, I can tell you that a quality shifter (Pro 5.0, Steeda, etc) should have a MUCH better feel and shifting action than a stock shifter - above and beyond just a handle change.

Of course, that is up to the preference of each individual owner.

Oh...happy belated Birthday Jimmy. :)

1IDSPTTR

Established Member
My $0.02

Normally I just lurk, but I have put some time and effort into this subject so FWIW, here's what I found out. I pulled the Pro 5.0 shifter off my '99 cobra 'vert before trading it in on the '03 vert, and I found it disconcerting to say the least once I was back on the stock shifter. After reading this thread, I called TTC, the parent company of the Tremec brand, and talked to a tech who said that the internal stops should be fine for protecting the T-56 tranny from even hard shifting. I then put the Pro 5.0 handle on the existing shifter, and noticed that compared to the '99 T-45 stock shifter, the Frankenstein combo felt a lot like the Pro 5.0 on the '99. The biggest difference are the self-actuating springs that seem similar to those on the Pro 5.0, although I will admit I haven't taken the boot off to actually look at the shifter. The bolts/lock washers supplied with the Pro 5.0 worked just fine. By comparison, the stock shifter on the '99 had no springs, so the stick just kinda flopped around like some girls I used to date when I was single. ( no offense mustang ladies, None of them drove a real car!!;-) ) . The stops seem to be pretty solid so far, although with less than 500 miles on the car, I'm not beating on it (yet). The only complaint I have is it is still a little more difficult to hit 3rd gear on the fly, but I occasionally missed on the '99 with Pro 5.0. I for one will give the current set up a chance to lossen up/break in, and will consider a new Pro 5.0 shifter down the road, if at all. I suppose I will need to get rid of the old T-45 Pro 5.0 as soon as I get a new handle, maybe a MGW. Anyone need a T-45 Pro 5.0:-D .

Allan

'99 Rio Red Cobra 'vert - back to the dealer

'03 Torch red Cobra 'vert - her younger sister, hot to trot with T!T$ out to .............................................here!

'99 Magnaflow cat back waiting in the garage...

needspeed

Interested Party
Established Member
I miss my Tri-ax and can hardly wait to get the new one I ordered for my 03. Even if removing the bushing helps there is no way the stock shifter is built like a Tri-ax or Pro 5. The Tri-ax just feels right to me. If you aint got the money then I can see it but for <200 bucks what the hell you deserve it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread