Venom F14 '03 Cobra Brake Kit - Installation

sonicmach1

Established Member
They arrived today! :rockon: They are huge. OEM GT500 14" rotors with the Brembo monobloc calipers.

I hope to be putting them on over Memorial Weekend. I will post measurements, weights, installation pictures, etc.

SN95 Mustang: F14-Stage II Front Brake Package_Vintage Venom

VenomF14_Brakes4_5182010.jpg

VenomF14_Brakes10_5182010.jpg

VenomF14_Brakes8_5182010.jpg

VenomF14_Brakes9_5182010.jpg

VenomF14_Brakes13_5182010.jpg

In front of my 18" rims.

VenomF14_Brakes14_5182010.jpg

VenomF14_Brakes15_5182010.jpg

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
The weight measurements so far are:

Rotor: 25.35 lbs.
Caliper assembly: 9.0 lbs.
Bracket w/all bolts: 2.74 lbs.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
looked over the link... holy mother of money batman.. damn

but they look awesome and im sure stop even better

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
I'm so jealous! I want a set of those BAD!

VERY nice!

What is the weight of the AFS 18 x9 wheel or what ever brand that is that you have?

Thanks.

I will weigh the rims/tire combo when I take them off for the brake install for sure.

Having these brakes clear my existing rims was a must.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Thanks.

I will weigh the rims/tire combo when I take them off for the brake install for sure.

Having these brakes clear my existing rims was a must.

I know, 18s are required with that and most other 14" kits.
Technically the Venum Brembo caliper is a better caliper and has better pad availability, it is a very well thought out kit, even replacement parts are available and reasonable.

I am checking on a couple guys that have done the Roush/Alcon 14" kit and have reported that the 95R 17s(which I have) clear the kit just barely, but require moving the stick on wheel weights, yes they are that close.

If I can do 4 piston 14s without replacing my entire wheel and tire inventory... 14s would become do-able much sooner.
Here's a post on corral and the pic. I'll be looking at GT500 rotors w/ shimmed Roush/alcons instead of the outrageously priced Roush rotors.

JimmySidecar,

After reading on CC about the Roush Alcons fitting with 17"Rs I pulled the trigger and bought a set, they DO fit! It is a VERY tight...you can't use stick on wheel weights but they do fit. Did you also know that with a little modification to the brackets you can use the cheeper 14" GT500 rotors?

I will be going to a 18" wheels in the near future as soon as the 17" tires are used up, I have found a cheep supply of 18" race rubber.

img0008gw.jpg

Sorry for the hijack,
Jim

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
That's a lot of leverage for not a lot of money, if we can get away with keeping our 17s.
If we don't have to convert to 18s the savings would potentially accommodate new 17" race rubber. if the 17" race scrub source has dried up.

Less rotating mass too. I am taking a serious look at this.

Maynor

Established Member
Gotta ask, besides looks, why add all that additional unsprung weight and 18" wheels versus the 2000R Brembo's and 13" rotors?

With Carbotech XP16s and no brake ducting, I couldn't find a fault with 2000R setup at VIR, Watkins, NJMP or Summit..

John

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Gotta ask, besides looks, why add all that additional unsprung weight and 18" wheels versus the 2000R Brembo's and 13" rotors?

With Carbotech XP16s and no brake ducting, I couldn't find a fault with 2000R setup at VIR, Watkins, NJMP or Summit..

John

Although heat is a big factor I believe the increased brake torque is most significant.

I want to try and pull off a 14" GT500 rotor / 4 piston Alcon caliper inside 17" wheels to save both money and weight.

This cart shows the results of the heat testing of the Venum kit:
track-temps-2009-10-25-large.bmp

desert_gypsy

Headbutting the horizon
Established Member
subscribing. anyone know if the roush/alcon's will clear factory 03/04 cobra wheels? Stage 5 still has a handful of these kits left and they're practically giving them away, FWIW.

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Jimmy, nice chart. Do you know if those heat comparisons were with 17" or 18" wheels?
I'm wondering if the tight clearances around the 14" rotor veins on a 17" wheel would hinder cooling over an 18" wheel?

sonicmach1

Established Member
That chart was generated with 18" FR500s.

I would imagine temps to increase by some % if you stuffed rotors tightly in 17" rims. I have to believe the vented benefit would suffer from lack of open air.

cobra-boss

Established Member
The 14" alcon set up will NOT clear the 03-04 cobra wheels, the wheels have a lip on the inside that goes from the outboard side in about 2". This lip prevents them form going on. I tried it this weekend when taking some pics for a up coming thread.

Jim

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just thought that I'd chime in and let people know that my Baer 4piston caliper which is the same as the Roush one and built from Alcon with 14'' rotors fit with my stock 98 wheels, which were 17''. Just thought I'd through that in there :D

Users who are viewing this thread