Vct not functioning after boss exhaust cam install

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Here's a run down of what I got going on. I have a sleeved short block from a builder that has alot of duds out there. During the long block build up in threw a set of boss exhaust cams in. From the first startup I threw a p0017 for bank 1 exhaust cam position. I was very sure I had the timing correct, but dug back in and checked anyway. Timing was good.
Logs show that exhaust cam hanging out around 17* while the others are all between -2 and 3 at idle. So I got back in there and reseated the cams and looked for anything that I may have screwed up. Everything looks fine...I replaced the phaser on bank 1 and swapped sensors and vct solenoids to see if the problem would move. Logs show the same as mentioned above...I'm not sure what to do at this point. Along with the one cam way out from the others, vct doesn't adjust my other cams through the rpms, they stay at park.
Car seems to run ok except for at idle. It's a bit choppy and when warm it'll flicker an oil light at me every now and then.
I'm at the point of throwing the factory short block back in, but I've put so much work into this build over the last month....very frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread