Valve Spring Install Question

50racer

So after installing my twin turbos and going through tuning with Lund he said to replace my valve springs to correct exhaust timing being thrown off at higher rpm. So I got a set of PAC 1234X springs and the ST-105 tool to replace them

I did my oil pump gear install when I bought the car and have no desire to pull the front of the motor off again and the cams to swap out the springs. The tool can be used with the cams in the car which is why I got it . So I pulled off the drivers side valve cover tonight to start doing it and to gauge the time it will take me. Looking at it I took one of the new springs just to see the room I am dealing with to pull them in and out with camshafts in there and notice that on the bottom exhaust ones at both ends (front one with a green circle) doesn't have near the space as the rest (some in yellow). I couldn't not see a way to fit a spring in that green marked area. Has anyone here used this tool and done a spring replacement while heads and cams are in the car and assembled? If so am I missing something before I start this project. I have no doubt removing the cams it is possible without difficulty, but I prefer to leave it all in tact and just a have a longer project. Thanks.
20190126_013540 - Copy.jpg

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Also, are you having high RPM break up and if so, at what psi level does it occur?

50racer

Yeah I have a post of 6g.

No breakup. 10 psi and logs show intake and exhaust cams out of sync by more than 3 degrees starting around 5300rpm.

So I have decided to just pull the cams to make it easy, but I still dont want to pull the front cover and timing chains off. Has anyone here used the older 3v timing wedge tool to lock chain in place to pull off the cams.

Users who are viewing this thread