Valve spring compressor for Comp cams

MalcolmV8

Established Member
So Comp cams have a huge moulded hex nut right in the center of their cams to turn the cam around instead of a socket type insert on the ends like the factory cams do. Seemed a lot more useful to me when degreeing the cams etc. but then I realized a horrible flaw.

My valve spring compressor no longer works on the 4 most inner valves on each head. The big hex nut is right in the way. The compressor can straddle the nut and be dead center between two valves and that's it. So I used a lot of sideways pressure at a heavy angle and got the spring off. Putting it back on was impossible. No way to get the keepers back in due to the extreme sideways action.

Here you can see the hex nut and how the tool goes.
IMG_7274.JPG

See how far off the claw is from the spring. Now you can see what a heavy angle I was going at.
IMG_7273.JPG

I have the 4 valve spring compressor tool from Freedom Racing. About the only decent one I've seen, if not the only that works with the cams in the heads and still in the car.
I started searching around and for alternative tools and all I could find where the types where the cams have to be out of the heads. Not going to work for me.

So I took one of the extra claws and cut it up and welded on an extension so it reached over from the center and pressed down squarely exactly centered over the spring.

IMG_7287.JPG

It worked amazing and got the job done! I'm wondering how others have gotten around this problem? and if not hopefully my solution helps someone else out.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I owned the similar tool above....have done 3 sets of cams with this tool off the motor. Wont use another tool...It says only works on 2v, but works fine if you flip over the plate. Allows you to work with both hands vs holding or having someone else help, gamechanger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-6L-5...a42ca72&pid=100011&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=121496051283

View attachment 62677

Looks like they now make one specifically for the 4V.

And I just happen to like green.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-4-6L-5...2433b74&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=2&sd=191752330803

Right but those require the cams not be in the head. That was my big hold up. I'd have to tear down half the motor to remove the cams.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Malcolm

Get a piece of round aluminum stock and make a compressor like the one I've posted in the past. You can grind a clearance to get around that hex. Yea, it "backwoods" engineering the it worked really well.

IMG_0658.jpg

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I can't clamp around the head like that when it's in the car installed with cams in it too.

Users who are viewing this thread