Valve covers

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Good evening everyone, I'm getting ready to purchase the Ford Racing CHROME valve covers for my Cobra. I was told that I have to drop the engine to get the valve cover on the passenger side. I don't think thats true, but whats your opinion?

Thanks!

03ghostcobra

Banned
no you dont have to drop the engine-if you are still on the eaton then you will have to remove the intake elbow-if twin screw you will have to remove the supercharger

Evan5469

Established Member
If anything the driver's side is the bigger PITA. You have to move the master cylinder out of the way to get that valve cover off. The passenger side will definitely be the easier of the 2.

Also, just a tip, but before you start, cover the chrome up with something like tape before you start installing it because you don't want to mess up the chrome if you bang it into something.

JymBart

Established Member
Chrome Powdercoated

Good evening everyone, I'm getting ready to purchase the Ford Racing CHROME valve covers for my Cobra. I was told that I have to drop the engine to get the valve cover on the passenger side. I don't think thats true, but whats your opinion?

Thanks!

Just so you know, .. that's Chrome Powdercoated Valve Covers. Wear gloves when you install them. You'll also need to be careful of what you use to clean them. I did mine when I had the engine/trans and K-member out of the car.

Here's a link of how mine turned out.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312735&page=3

JymBart

GodStang

Established Member
Passanger side is super easy. The driver said is a pain because of the brake booster. We just loosened it and moved it out of the way and it was not that bad. The engine stayed in the car the whole time.

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know what to do now. Jymbart, how did you get a "chrome" coated OEM belt protector? That's a nice setup you got there!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Make sure you loosen the distribution block from the fender. You can't move the master cylinder enough without removing that first. It's not that hard, I just did it and I'd say it took me about 2 to 3 hours.

JymBart

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, I know what to do now. Jymbart, how did you get a "chrome" coated OEM belt protector? That's a nice setup you got there!

Donald,
The pulley /belt guard is from Steeda, .. it's the only one being sold that allows for a snub idler.

JymBart

black 10th vert

Established Member
Donald,
The pulley /belt guard is from Steeda, .. it's the only one being sold that allows for a snub idler.

JymBart

JymBart, who makes that strut tower brace? I've never seen one like that before. It looks like the brace that goes over the Eaton comes off separately, which I think would be much handier than having to remove the entire thing like my Steeda brace!:cuss:

JymBart

Established Member
Strut Tower Brace

JymBart, who makes that strut tower brace? I've never seen one like that before. It looks like the brace that goes over the Eaton comes off separately, which I think would be much handier than having to remove the entire thing like my Steeda brace!:cuss:

I believe that since 2002, I've only seen one Cobra with this brace, ... and that's the Cobra I own. Much to my surprise, no one else has posted photos of this brace, and I've never seen one on another Cobra. It's a quality piece, best looking brace ever made, and at the time it was being made, was offered in several colors. Mines Chrome Powdercoated.

Matt Snow of Snow Performance put all the pieces together for me. To my knowledge Snow Performance does not offer this brace for sale any more.

JymBart

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
So to loosen the brake booster, just undo the bolts from the firewall and loosen the distribution block as well? They just move around for the valve cover to get off/on and nothing else with the lines?

GodStang

Established Member
So to loosen the brake booster, just undo the bolts from the firewall and loosen the distribution block as well? They just move around for the valve cover to get off/on and nothing else with the lines?

Yes but do not forget there is a nut or two inside the cab under the dash to undo to get the break buster undone.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
There are three nuts under the dash and one under the hood. Looking at the booster, the one under the hood is in the 8 o'clock position.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
There are three nuts under the dash and one under the hood. Looking at the booster, the one under the hood is in the 8 o'clock position.

How hard is it to get to all these? And how much room needs to be made for the driver side cover?

Users who are viewing this thread