valve covers powder coated on the inside?

ctgreddy

Established Member
I just got my valve covers done in wrinkle red, and the dude did the inside of them as well, this a bad thing? i tried hitting it, scratching it, etc and it's not coming off at all, so i'd assume it wouldn't come off in the engine just scares me some, he says he does it on every set he's done and never had an issue. anyone else have this done and have it get in the oil system? I had NO idea where to put this thread so mods can move this whereever just had to do with oil in a way so figured i'd start here.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
The GT500 valve covers have powder coating overspray on the insides of them from the factory so it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully he removed the baffles and media blasted the inside of them too. Then you shouldn't have any thing to worry about.

ctgreddy

Established Member
he said that everything he coated was sand blasted, so i'm assuming he sand blasted everything under neath.

oldmodman

Established Member
You should not have any problems. The powder coat is oil resistant.

And it might actually be an advantage. The powder finish might shed oil faster than the bare metal, allowing the oil to get back to the pan faster.

I have never tested that, or seen a report about it anywhere. Has anyone else?

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Damn that guy should have the common sense not to do that. I've seen powder coating flake off before so i wouldn't be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread