• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Valve Cover Removal

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Red Poison, Mar 7, 2010.

1. ravenknight

ravenknight Never enough Established Member

It didnt mess up my mounts, but the hp gains we add will eventually, lol. Just remove the bottom nut that mounts on the k member and then get a mall 2x4 and place on jack and lift driver side, we had to put close to transmission and as close as you can to engine. just remember to loosen dip stick cause install will not allow you to put vc back on with it tight. It comes out fine though. Yes when vc is off lower back down and do whatever else you need to do. Good luck on heads that you may need remove booster. just so you have plenty of room. Havent gone that far yet.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. DuffManRHA

DuffManRHA The cake is not a lie. Established Member

Obviously I haven't done it this way myself since I'm asking for pics and help too, but I think you could loosen the pass side mount bolt/nut. That way the engine could rotate at that point so you don't bind up the mount or tear an already-starting-to-go mount.

3. 333arod333

333arod333 SVT Disciple Established Member

I ended up taking the brake booster off bc we didnt have a nice floor jack around.

It only took like an hour it wasnt that big of a deal. my buddy got to that top left bolt on the inside of the brake booster firewall plate without even removing any of those linkages or brake light switch or electric stuff.

idk if i need to take them off anyway to seperate the booster from the firewall though...

4. CobRoush-00

CobRoush-00 Active Member Established Member

Great write-up. However, it seems to be a PITA to get it done. I am sure the end result is satisfying.

5. Midnight_Cobra

Midnight_Cobra It's an Atomic Serpent! Established Member

I did this and it took me like 8 hours to have the cover off. This is my first time really working on the DOHC so I was learning on the way. But it only took me like 2 hours to put it back together. I even took the booster and master cylinder off.

Oh and OP I figured out how to take that connector off the master cylinder. It's just a squeeze and pull. It's a PITA but you just have to work at it. It took me an hour to figure it out. The FRPS connector is the same connector so I practiced on that a few times. :bash:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  6. Crusher9008

Crusher9008 New Member Established Member

i'm really debating on attempting the motor mount way or the brake booster way. I currently have the car in the garage with the passanger side valve cover off.(that was a pain. I will be attempting this tommorow. Wish me luck. I'm just going to take some long strips of painters tape and tape the hell out of the valve covers so I dont scratch them upon re-install. Wish me luck.

7. QuickV8

QuickV8 ▪█───────█▪ Established Member

do u have to replace any gaskets

8. Crusher9008

No you dont...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

9. 91svtcoupe

91svtcoupe TTop SVT Coupe Established Member

How tight are you guys tightening your Cam Cover Bolts back down?

I just did a COP conversion on my B Headed Motor and it just feels like its squeezing the gasket too much? However the bolts need to be tight correct?

Also the COP feels very lazy going on the Plug its self. Are they pretty much all that way?

Thanks

10. Crusher9008

Just installed mine did a crossing pattern to get equal pressure around cover. I tighted them by hand oretty snug but did not crank down on them...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

11. 91svtcoupe

91svtcoupe TTop SVT Coupe Established Member

I did all my with a 1/4 inch drive and tightened them down to snug. Then gave them all a turn in a 3/8 drive. ??????????? Maybe I'm good. I don't see no gasket pushing out but my grouments are pretty squeezed.

12. Storm728

Storm728 Member Established Member

just got my drivers side off today on a mach. i ended up taking off the big bolt that holds down the power steering fluid lines to the hydroboost. barely made a mess and allowed me to fully remove the booster from the engine bay, made it a hell of a lot easier. now only if i wasnt doing this in an alleyway......

mattmynhier likes this.
  13. JDUB348

JDUB348 Active Member Established Member

Excellent write up. Only thing i thought was not as hard as the OP described was removing the upper left bolt on the inside of the car to get the brake booster off. I just used one of my gear wrenches and it came right off :shrug: (Should mention my car's interior is completely out right now, so i was able to lay down completely and get way up in there)

I had a hard time getting the valve cover off for a good 15 minutes of hulking out on it. After a while i just took the brake booster and pulled it way further out of the fire wall and BAM.. valve cover started instantly coming out.

Thanks for the write up..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  14. Code Name

Code Name New Member Established Member

Newbie....do you have to remove the supercharger to change the valve covers? Was quoted $300 to change them said the charger(whipple) had to be removed! I thought the price was high! Your thoughts?

15. Crusher9008

Whipple must be removed to do this but if you have the heaton you can do it by simply removing the plentum

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

16. Code Name

Code Name New Member Established Member

Damn! :bs:

17. 2001Snake

2001Snake It will be fast one day Established Member

Why not just drop the k member a bit? Only 8 bolts on the k member and it will fall to the ground.

18. mrose75

mrose75 Active Member Established Member

Thanks for this write up! I was going to go the motor mount method, until my jack crapped out on me! So I followed this DIY(out of order, which sucks) and got it done with a buddies help. I did the passenger side by myself, but need a hand with the driver's side. Now I just hope I can get it all back together again!

19. Vanilla Mustang

Vanilla Mustang Member Established Member

I get the feeling that some gear wrenches can be a game changer here

20. clate

clate Member Established Member

looks like it lol. now what have you all done with your build tags?