Valve cover removal PITA

Cat Breath

Established Member
I made the mistake of thinking removing the valve covers was an easy weekend job. I had read some posts of people discovering rocker arms that had fallen off and was hoping to find some free hp. Just unbolting the brake booster wasn't enough to provide the needed clearance to remove the driver's side cover, I had to remove the thing. Then I ended up boggering the threads on one of the brake line adapters when I put it back. :bash: I have yet to get the motivation to bleed the brakes.

Do not attempt this just 'cause you're bored! :whine:

Cat Breath

Established Member
No, I just removed the 5 fittings to the booster and yanked it out. I figured that was the easiest route at that point. Man I miss my old 5.0s some days.

Lethal SVT97

BLUEVNM
Established Member
Cat Breath said:
I made the mistake of thinking removing the valve covers was an easy weekend job. I had read some posts of people discovering rocker arms that had fallen off and was hoping to find some free hp. Just unbolting the brake booster wasn't enough to provide the needed clearance to remove the driver's side cover, I had to remove the thing. Then I ended up boggering the threads on one of the brake line adapters when I put it back. :bash: I have yet to get the motivation to bleed the brakes.

Do not attempt this just 'cause you're bored! :whine:
you must be really bored. :nonono:

Cat Breath

Established Member
If I had found a dismounted rocker arm I would have planned to fix it. If it involved pulling the engine then ok. I was just suprised what a hassle it is to remove a valve cover on our cars. Didn't occur to me to retorque anything.

My hotrod fund is pretty dry this year :whine: and I felt the urge to do some car work. Next time I get that urge I'm just gonna wash it. :beer:

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Cat Breath said:
No, I just removed the 5 fittings to the booster and yanked it out. I figured that was the easiest route at that point. Man I miss my old 5.0s some days.

Just looking at it, I'm almost positive the cover could come off by removing the booster...but not disconnecting the lines...and setting it aside. Then raise the left side of the engine a bit. I admit...I haven't tried it...but it sure looks like it would clear.

stang03

Mach 1 Fanatic
Established Member
The driver's side valve cover can be removed by removing those five bolts on the booster...but ya really gotta work at it....she is in there pretty tight!

Users who are viewing this thread