Valve cover breathers

blue 07

Established Member
Anyone use a valve cover breather on their Shelby GT500 ? Have looked at many, Metco, etc, any goods or bads about brands. Looking for some info....

JPs2013GT500

I can count to potato
Established Member
I've been running the CFM baffled breather for a couple of months now and see no signs of oil/mist yet.

I kept my catch cans installed, even with the breather. I don't know if it's just coincidence or what but it seems like the catch can is picking up more oil now than prior to running the breather. Again, that could be completely unrelated to the breather, though. Maybe it's just how I've been driving lately or due to the cooler weather, etc.. Just something I've noticed.

djniknala

Established Member
I've been running the CFM baffled breather for a couple of months now and see no signs of oil/mist yet.

I kept my catch cans installed, even with the breather. I don't know if it's just coincidence or what but it seems like the catch can is picking up more oil now than prior to running the breather. Again, that could be completely unrelated to the breather, though. Maybe it's just how I've been driving lately or due to the cooler weather, etc.. Just something I've noticed.

That breather isn't like running two breathers on each valve cover. It has a one way check valve in it that only lets pressure out and no flow in. It will only open when both pcv lines get overrun i.e. positive pressure in the crankcase.

paluka21

Established Member
That breather isn't like running two breathers on each valve cover. It has a one way check valve in it that only lets pressure out and no flow in. It will only open when both pcv lines get overrun i.e. positive pressure in the crankcase.

Exactly. A properly functioning valve cover breather complete with a check ball will help keep crank case pressure down, while the catch cans will keep the oil separated and from entering into the intake.

Users who are viewing this thread