Vacaville Gas Problems

mjohns930

Established Member
I am wondering if any of my fellow Vacaville residents are having problems similar to me. I am trying to find some 91 octane gas that doesn't suck. I have tried most all of the stations in Vacaville and it all knocks. Still have a couple more stations/brands to try, and I have found some that is less worse than others, but it has all been junk. Switching to E85 or running Torco every fill up are out of the question. The set up (exhaust/tune) and tuning on the car are also not in question, it just looks to be crap gas.

What 91 octane are you running in Vacaville, or even the surrounding area? Do you have problems with knock? Could this just be that we might still be getting a crap winter blend or is it like this year round?

Thanks for any help on this.

Mitch

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Are you 100% sure on the tune? Is it a canned tune? 1 or 2 stations I can see. But if your having problems with everyone you go to I'd start looking elsewhere.

MysticRob

Established Member
You're near refinery-central, I find it hard to believe the gas quality is that bad, especially running a 2014 Mustang. Since it sounds like you're tuned, I'd look at that since a quick google search shows multiple threads about it. Try reloading the stock tune and see if that resolves it. Then you'll have it narrowed down for sure.

mjohns930

Established Member
It was doing it with the stock tune. It's 100% not the tune. I have discussed this with the tuner as well and I have a softer tune as a backup if I need. And it's not like it's pulling 8* of timing or something, it's just 1-2* in the mid range so the PCM will adapt to it and it will be fine. Just wondering if any stations/brands were better than others here. I have tried Lucas octane boost and the problem went away entirely.

Also, I am not the only person in the area that I know of that's had similar issues. This area is known to have poor gas even though we are close to refineries.

Just looking to see if anyone knew anything about quality gas in the region as opposed to trying to stick the tuner with the blame. It's not the tuner/tune/car/etc. It's the gas. And it could be as simple as poor quality winter blends still.

Thanks,

Mitch

Last edited:

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
Even though some have suggested a Tune check, that will be my vote as well. I just pumped gas of Alamo from less than 1/4 tank to full and by Dixon a HellCat wanted to play so went full throttle a few times with no issues. I have never had issues with local gas only once in summer at a Chevron in Sac.

MysticRob

Established Member
I always used Chevron or Valero in the south bay and never had a problem stock or tuned (canned Bama tune with 2.8" pulley and CAI). I've never heard of bad gas around here, but it's always possible.

mjohns930

Established Member
Even though some have suggested a Tune check, that will be my vote as well. I just pumped gas of Alamo from less than 1/4 tank to full and by Dixon a HellCat wanted to play so went full throttle a few times with no issues. I have never had issues with local gas only once in summer at a Chevron in Sac.

Are you looking at timing when doing this or just going by basically nothing?

BayAreaTech

Crazy Mexican
Established Member
I'm going based off my timing/A/F ratio. I haven't encountered bad gas in Vacaville and pumped another full tank today with no issues.

CMP

Fanatic Cobra Poster
Established Member
I'm going based off my timing/A/F ratio. I haven't encountered bad gas in Vacaville and pumped another full tank today with no issues.

Problem is likely the tune, but bad gas is not really brand specific. What I was thinking is that you are just getting old gas. Look for stations that are busy with lots of cars constantly filling up. If you fill up with "Fresh gas" at 91 octane and still ping then your timing in your tune is too high or you are simply not getting enough fuel volume (weak pump?). Good luck..

Users who are viewing this thread