Vacation notes

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Remember the movie Field of Dreams, where the spirits of the old Baseball players would walk back into the corn, and appear to fade into it?

And how, later, in an episode of the Simpsons, Homer did the same thing in order to escape persecution for the consequences of a particularly dumb decision?

I dreamed I could do the same thing, but it had to be books. Anytime I wanted out get out of a sticky situation, I would back up against a bookcase and fade from view as I entered what I call "libra-space*," then, working through the books in a weirdly quantum-tunneling sort of effect, travel through the various chapters and escape back into the non-biblio-world** at a more opportune point, thus effecting my escape!

It worked great, but it had sharp limitations: It had to be a full floor to ceiling bookcase (not hard to find, in this house!), and it was a lot more pleasant if the subject matter were one I liked. All my text books? Good stuff. The Pratchett Discworld stuff? Great times. The SR-71 books? Awesome times! Donna's romance novel collection? Eject, eject, eject! Still good for an escape, though.

It was such a powerful dream, and I woke up thinking, "Yes, I see how to do it!" But it just made a mess, at home; and the local library called the cops, and I had to clear out of there, fast. Conclusion: inconclusive! I never made it past the science and engineering section!

So now, Donna is mad, the house is a mess, I can't go back to the library, the cops are after me, and I've still got a whole week of vacation to go!

Best. Vacation. EVER!

*Libra-space: the Book World

**Non-biblio-space: the real world

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread