Vacation in New Orleans

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
So the girlfriend is taking me to New Orleans for a week this Sunday for my 40th birthday. We are staying in the French Quarter. She was stationed there in the Navy for 6yrs and I also have a coworker who did several projects there post Katrina. We already have a decent itinerary which includes WW2 museum, swamp boat tour, Bourbon Street, several restaurants etc...

Does anyone have any other ideas or places to suggest? I'm up for anything to be honest. God that could open up a Pandora's box on here.

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
I just ate a bunch of good food in the quarter when I was there. Stayed at hotel monteleone.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I was there with @STAMPEDE3 in November. I'm sure he'll see this and reply along with a bunch of other members who live in the area. I have to run, but one thing for sure, hit Dragos for the chargrilled oysters. You'll thank me later.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I was there with @STAMPEDE3 in November. I'm sure he'll see this and reply along with a bunch of other members who live in the area. I have to run, but one thing for sure, hit Dragos for the chargrilled oysters. You'll thank me later.
Thanks Brad, I'll check it out for sure. I have a feeling I'll be putting on 10-15lbs in the 5 days I'll be there.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Your itinerary looks good.
What restaurants do you have scheduled and where are you staying?
I'll check back tomorrow. A little busy tonight.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
That sounds damn good.
One of the best things I've eaten. When we went there we ordered a dozen to split between the 4 of us along with our other food, one taste and we ordered more. Make sure you hit Daisy Dukes for breakfast of late night snack. We also hung out at Claire's Pour House a bunch (reasonable prices). I sure got my fill of food as almost any place is good. What I enjoyed most was first thing in the AM getting a beer because most of the bars/food joints are open very early and some don't even close. We had a lot of fun and will go back again soon.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Your itinerary looks good.
What restaurants do you have scheduled and where are you staying?
I'll check back tomorrow. A little busy tonight.
We are staying at the Hyatt Centric in the French Quarter. So far I've come up with Commander's Palace, Mother's, Emeril's, Cafe Du Monde, K-Paul's, Jackson Brewery and Phillipe Tacos and Burritos for eateries.

Sunday and Sunday night is going be a drunkfest on Bourbon Street to start if off. Also hitting the Audubon Zoo at some point.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
One of the best things I've eaten. When we went there we ordered a dozen to split between the 4 of us along with our other food, one taste and we ordered more. Make sure you hit Daisy Dukes for breakfast of late night snack. We also hung out at Claire's Pour House a bunch (reasonable prices). I sure got my fill of food as almost any place is good. What I enjoyed most was first thing in the AM getting a beer because most of the bars/food joints are open very early and some don't even close. We had a lot of fun and will go back again soon.
Oh trust me I plan on drinking for 5 days straight. Luckily so does she. It helps she is 12yrs younger so she can keep up.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
We are staying at the Hyatt Centric in the French Quarter. So far I've come up with Commander's Palace, Mother's, Emeril's, Cafe Du Monde, K-Paul's, Jackson Brewery and Phillipe Tacos and Burritos for eateries.

Sunday and Sunday night is going be a drunkfest on Bourbon Street to start if off. Also hitting the Audubon Zoo at some point.

Good location. Personally I think mothers is over rated. lol
Check out Coop's place and Clare's pour house if you want a little home town feel vibe to a bar to get drunk at. Carlos is a great bartender. Both of those are on Decatur St.
Drunk breakfast at Daisy Dukes is just 2 1/2 blocks from your hotel and most definitely walk down to Drago's at the Hilton and get the charbroiled Oysters.
I could probably come catch up with you on Wednesday the 8th if you have time. Hell, I could probably be there this Sunday too but I usually like to give people their first couple days to themselves. lol

GotHemi?

Hell Kitty Nut Swinger
Established Member
Definitely go to Dragos! I also get this along with the oysters.

f5160ab4fc4ad6473f5c8248705cd828.jpg

Doris Metropolitan is a wonderful place to get a steak in the FC too.

Commander's Palace if you want some of the best cajun/creole food in the world.

Last edited:

CV355

_
Established Member
If I ever built up enough courage to brave the crowds, I would want to check out the haunted roads in New Orleans at midnight. Never been much of a "relaxing vacation" guy.

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
Finally had time to get on here. Between spending time with my son upon returning and a surprise party on Saturday it's been hectic.

I will say NO is the best city I've ever visited. From the people, sights, entertainment, everything. I didn't want to leave. Her being stationed there for 4yrs helped for sure.

Daisy Dukes was incredible and she had never been. We went back twice for breakfast, lol. What really threw me for a loop was the bars right in the mall and being able to drink openly anywhere at anytime. Pounding Kettle One and Redbull doubles while she shopped was glorious.

We have already decided we are going back for Mardi Gras next year. I have more pics than I know what to do with too.

Users who are viewing this thread