Vacation in May - Going to Texas. Ideas?

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Hey SVTP,

Hoping to get some feedback on a vacation coming up in May with my Wife.

We are driving down to TX, specifically going to be around Dallas, Argyle and then Austin for about 7-8 days. It will be our first time there and I'm trying to get some ideas on fun things to do.

Any good restaurants you won't find anywhere else? Good craft beer only available in TX? Same with Bourbon?

We plan on renting bicycles, finding some beaches, going to gun ranges with my wife's friends that live there and are into guns as well, eating a lot of food, etc.

Found two beautiful homes we are renting off of Airbnb which was a godsend. Screw hotels, lol.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
-Chris

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Hey SVTP,

Hoping to get some feedback on a vacation coming up in May with my Wife.

We are driving down to TX, specifically going to be around Dallas, Argyle and then Austin for about 7-8 days. It will be our first time there and I'm trying to get some ideas on fun things to do.

Any good restaurants you won't find anywhere else? Good craft beer only available in TX? Same with Bourbon?

We plan on renting bicycles, finding some beaches, going to gun ranges with my wife's friends that live there and are into guns as well, eating a lot of food, etc.

Found two beautiful homes we are renting off of Airbnb which was a godsend. Screw hotels, lol.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
-Chris
Driving from where?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
We are driving from Chicago.

Plan is to get to Dallas on the 25th, stay until that following Wednesday morning, then drive to Austin and stay until Friday before driving back.
If you want bourbon stop in kentucky or Tennessee if not too far off the route. So many small towns that have nice distilleries. Lol, a few are in dry counties for epic ironies.

AAG

Established Member
A few places worth visiting in the Dallas Metroplex:
6th Floor Museum at Dealey Plaza
Dallas Zoo
AT&T Stadium Tour
Reunion Tower Observation Deck
National Video Game Museum
Klyde Warren Park
Dallas Karting Komplex

Voltwings

Established Member
The Perot museum is Dallas is pretty entertaining as well.

There's a lot of good food in Austin, you can easily avoid "chain" restaurants and have good food 3 meals a day.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Go to Blacks or Franklin’s BBQ in Austin, it’s incredible if you can actually get in.
Franklin's burned down. Still no word on whether or not he is going to rebuild. Damn shame too. Best brisket in the world. You had to be in line around 8AM to be sure you got some.

EDIT: Nevermind, Aaron reopened the restaurant!!!!

GO THERE

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Go to Blacks or Franklin’s BBQ in Austin, it’s incredible if you can actually get in.
Never been to Franklin's because I don't want to deal with the crowds... But I like Smitty's and Kreuz's better than Blacks.

Edit: Also go to Torchy's Tacos at some point.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Franklin's burned down. Still no word on whether or not he is going to rebuild. Damn shame too. Best brisket in the world. You had to be in line around 8AM to be sure you got some.

EDIT: Nevermind, Aaron reopened the restaurant!!!!

GO THERE

I tend to shy away from best in the World proclamations, but I can definitely agree with that. There is damn good bbq all over the state, but Franklin's is the best. If the OP cannot get in, really hit up any number of bbq joints in the area, they are all pretty good..Salt Lick is a safe bet and there is even one if Dallas, 2 or 3 in the Austin area. We used to live Round Rock and the Salt Lick out there is good.

Never been to Franklin's because I don't want to deal with the crowds... But I like Smitty's and Kreuz's better than Blacks.

Edit: Also go to Torchy's Tacos at some point.

Smitty's and Kreuzs are both very good. I forgot about them, so much bbq in the Centex area.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Yes unlike the People being run by Chicago, Illinois Texas you can own almost anything minus Nuclear weapons in Texas I know of a guy that has a Sherman I think it's an A4 as it has a short 75mm, M-18 Hellcat, and a M7 Priest that lives there. and they all have fully functioning armament.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Awesome suggestions guys!

Wait, you can shoot full autos in texas?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!

**** YEAH!

Yeah there are several in the Houston area and I am sure in Dallas too that rent full-auto. Quite a few ranges in ATX as well, know several rent, but not sure about full auto. I like Reds in Plflugerville, but don’t think they do full auto.

This one rents full auto

http://www.therangeaustin.com/

utlong31

Established Member
If you happen to make it to Shlitterbahn it might be worth making a drive to Fredericksburg for some German beer and food. They have several shops to visit. You can sit in a micro brewery while the wife shops. They also have a festival once a month and some great flower farms you can visit if your into that. Lots of bed and breakfast places to stay. I try and make it once a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread