Vacation ideas in South America - September 2010

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I will be going on vacation with a friend in September. The date is pretty set in stone; she returns from Afghanistan in July and I return home from Afghanistan in late August. I want to go to South America becaue my lifetime goal is to visit all 7 continents, which leaves South America and Africa. I have been looking at Ecuador/Peru and wondering if anybody has gone there. Have any tips on what to do and where to go? We want to go sightseeing so the Galapigos islands (sorry dont have time to spell check) are at the top of my list... but what else? Sangay National Park came up on a search for things to see in Ecuador. I would love to see some of the Inca Empire sites in Peru.

We haven't talked about length of stay yet, but it will probably be about a week and a half. We don't have a specific budget set in mind, but we aren't rich. Just looking for ideas.

Any other South American vacation ideas are welcome. :beer:

-Mike

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Foz de Iguacu. Best vacation I've ever had. We went to both the Brazil side and the Argentina side; lots of hiking, lots of beautiful scenery, and we stayed at a nice almost resort type hotel. I couldn't tell you much about the travel arrangements since I was 12 when we went, but if there was one place I'd go back to this is the one!

I've also heard good things about Peru; one of my professors did the hike to Machu Picchu every year with 5-6 of his students; I planned to go with him but the year I could he went on sabbatical to Japan. My grandmother also went a few years back and loved it. She did the Costa Rica/Galapagos thing as well and had a blast. All on my list of things to do, but before all that I would go to Iguacu (also spelled Iguazu).

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Foz de Iguacu. Best vacation I've ever had. We went to both the Brazil side and the Argentina side

I'll be sure to look into that :beer: on a side note: you should see some of these snow capped mountains here in Afghanistan. I am already at 8k ft above sea level and the mountains are still towering above us.

*just googled Foz de Iguacu and WOW :eek:

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
I spent some time in the Amazon basin in Peru. I'd like to go back to see Macchu Picchu and around the Andes. Chile and Patagonia would be nice too. Or go to a huge BBQ in Argentina. That would be killer.

TripleBlack

FIFAchamp
Established Member
Go try the churrascarias in Brazil and the bbq's in Argentina.

Better yet... Take a drive up this!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ3VfV6UVJs"]YouTube- World's most Dangerous road - Bolivia-(HORRIBLE ACCIDENT)[/ame]

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
I think Im down to just Africa as far as continents are concerned.. I'm in Ecuador for work right now, and i don't recommend this area(Guayaquil).. Don't know too much about South America really, so cant recommend anything.. Ive been to Chile as well, but i was in the tiny town of Iquique, not much there..

Users who are viewing this thread