VA Sleep Apnea claims—after military service, any approvals?

Fordflo

2012 F-150 HARLEY DAVIDSON
Established Member
Just asking if anyone has any success with the VA for claiming sleep apnea after military service...if so, how long were you out of military when you got a decision?

Zig'sbird

Established Member
Not exactly the same as what you are asking but....

I got out after my last deployment pretty quick. The VA sent me to a sleep study and it was determined I had sleep apnea. In my VA records it was even stated by the MDs that it was as a result of Iraq.

Denied.

I have recently decided to fight it but who knows. Good luck with your fight.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
If it wasn't in your medical records while on active, very difficult sledding for approval.

Fordflo

Established Member
Was 1 yr and 4 mons, but had to wait 3 mon for the sleep study. Had one done while active duty but diagnosed as just snoring even though I was sleeping at work during the days and having headaches and memory problems

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Was 1 yr and 4 mons, but had to wait 3 mon for the sleep study. Had one done while active duty but diagnosed as just snoring even though I was sleeping at work during the days and having headaches and memory problems

Anyone with this ever solve it without a CPAP? I was on a BiPap once in the ER and dont think I could deal with it. Freaks me out.

Always tired and falling asleep at work, sometimes even driving, snore horribly to the point of relationship issues.

Curious if anyone on here has some feedback who has dealt with this.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone with this ever solve it without a CPAP? I was on a BiPap once in the ER and dont think I could deal with it. Freaks me out.

Always tired and falling asleep at work, sometimes even driving, snore horribly to the point of relationship issues.

Curious if anyone on here has some feedback who has dealt with this.
Do some online research.

Three major types of sleep apnea.

Being fat and the fat and your chest and neck make it hard to breath - solution drop 100lbs

Lower mouth tissue goose loose at night blocks air passage - they can cut open your chin install screws and wires and adjust tightness to keep this from happening.

Upper mouth, they can install plastic strips to make the upper pallet stiffer.

The last is neurological. Your brain is simply not telling the muscles and lungs what to do correctly and your basically miss firing.

Remember if it's as bad as you say it is, you are cutting 10-15 years off your life as your heart is working double time and not getting enough oxygen. Girl I worked with died at 35 from sleep apnea (cardiac arrest while sleeping). She refused to use a cpap.

Fordflo

Established Member
I could not live without the CPAP...I used to be a drowsy driver until I got the CPAP...sleeping during military service during the day and post service...low and behold I had sleep apnea...

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you contacted any of the advocacy groups that help with VA claims? I stop breathing 86 times an hour, LoL going to die young, FML.

Fordflo

Established Member
I have a lawyer and ongoing 4 year claim with this sleep apnea claim...a lot of back and forth trying to explain what was in your active duty medical records that includes all the symptoms of sleep apnea just not diagnosed until one year after service...

Users who are viewing this thread