VA Health Care

VegasMichael

Established Member
I know we have some veterans here and was curious if any of you use it and how it's worked out for you. I applied yesterday and if accepted it looks as if I'll be in priority group 6 since I'm considered a Gulf War veteran. As far as I can tell there are no monthly premiums and the coverage seems pretty good. My current insurance expires at the end of this month so I'm shopping around.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
50% VA rating here. The problem is that you never have the same doc twice. Doc I had never met attempted to stop all my diabetes meds since I was doing so good. Had to go to a tricare provider to fix.

Just be aware.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
70% rating, I have seen the same doc since 2011. She is on the same page with me as far as trying alternative medicines rather than throwing medications to mask issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
70% rating, I have seen the same doc since 2011. She is on the same page with me as far as trying alternative medicines rather than throwing medications to mask issues.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Damn lucky guy.

TaraFirma

Established Member
100% here. I have a primary health provider that I see at scheduled appointments every 6 months and whenever I have issues come up.
Only real annoying thig is the are still pretty hardcore mask nazis there at the VA in Cedar Park TX.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
30% here which is the minimum that qualifies for full coverage for healthcare. I decided to not enroll in my work's care plan and just stick with the VA because they have met all my needs so far. I've had the same primary care provider but that clinic shut down and so I have my first appointment this month at the newly built clinic closer to my house with a new doctor.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Can you guys clear something up for me...what do those percentage ratings mean? Are those service connected disability ratings?

Yes, it's the percentage of disability applied to you after you submit your claim. My disability is for my neck, knee, and for my hearing since I have really bad tinnitus. Mine will probably raise in the future because my hearing is getting worse, but not sure how they would assess or raise that rating. Certain things rate 100% disability like loss of limb I believe or anything that would fit that criteria to make you 100% disabled.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Yes, it's the percentage of disability applied to you after you submit your claim. My disability is for my neck, knee, and for my hearing since I have really bad tinnitus. Mine will probably raise in the future because my hearing is getting worse, but not sure how they would assess or raise that rating. Certain things rate 100% disability like loss of limb I believe or anything that would fit that criteria to make you 100% disabled.
I don't have any disabilities(I do have tinnitus though) but according to their website I qualify under this group. I think there will be co-pays but I'm okay with that.

Priority group 6​

We may assign you to priority group 6 if any of these descriptions are true:

• You have a compensable service-connected disability that we’ve rated as 0% disabling, or
  • You were exposed to ionizing radiation during atmospheric testing or during the occupation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or
  • You participated in Project 112/SHAD, or
  • You served in the Republic of Vietnam between January 9, 1962, and May 7, 1975, or
  • You served in the Persian Gulf War between August 2, 1990, and November 11, 1998, or
  • You served on active duty at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days between August 1, 1953, and December 31, 1987

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
50% VA rating here. The problem is that you never have the same doc twice. Doc I had never met attempted to stop all my diabetes meds since I was doing so good. Had to go to a tricare provider to fix.

Just be aware.
this isn't true. I've had the same team (dr, nurses and reps) for over 10 years now. Over the last 2 years, 7 surgeries and possibly the best health I can be in.

The key to good care is holding your team accountable and seeing your rep if there is an issue

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I'm tricare-standard and see DR's out in town. Only issue I ever have is meds prescribed are denied. Guess they want me to use the shit brands. It's a pain.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
Man, how do you get such high ratings? 5 year vet, 2 years Iraq combat as 11B. I have VA insurance, absolutely hate using it or anything involved with the VA. I've never been treated worse by a service organization like the VA can.

Never got a rating.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
( 90 % )( N.J. )
Had the same PCP for over 10 years, she got promoted & moved.
Same Dr. in neurology, 20 years, now the Dept. head.
All the other clinics, never the same Dr.
Get all my meds & glasses from the VA. When I broke my hip in 2015, they filled a civilian script that would have cost me $ 600/wk, no questions asked.
Stopped going to VA hospital when COVID started, they don't like the mask I wear to my civilian Dr.'s......( have had several tele-appointments, which they stopped )
I like the fact that if you need a test, the Dr. makes a phone call & you get it the same day.
ALL THE COMPENSATION DR.'S LIE ON THEIR WRITE-UPS !!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
this isn't true. I've had the same team (dr, nurses and reps) for over 10 years now. Over the last 2 years, 7 surgeries and possibly the best health I can be in.

The key to good care is holding your team accountable and seeing your rep if there is an issue

Actually, most VA's are in the same boat as mine (St Cloud, MN), doctor turnover is ferocious. I was churned until I got an older one who knew she could use my Tricare pharmacy list since I was retired. She got me on a good diabetes med and then left a year later. The VA then canceled all the prescriptions for all the vets she had used Tricare for, it was ****ing chaos. I had to use a regular Tricare doctor to get my diabetes meds back. I haven't even seen a real VA doctor in the flesh since Covid kicked off, it's been some different contracted teledoc every year.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
Man, how do you get such high ratings? 5 year vet, 2 years Iraq combat as 11B. I have VA insurance, absolutely hate using it or anything involved with the VA. I've never been treated worse by a service organization like the VA can.

Never got a rating.
if you were 11b and earned a CIB, PTSD is a presumptive. Meaning, you don't have to prove it happened during military service. Same thing for sinusitis, rhinitis, bowel issues, ANY musculoskeletal (joint) pain, headaches...ALL presumptives if you served in theater.

you need to file for compensation ASAP

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
if you were 11b and earned a CIB, PTSD is a presumptive. Meaning, you don't have to prove it happened during military service. Same thing for sinusitis, rhinitis, bowel issues, ANY musculoskeletal (joint) pain, headaches...ALL presumptives if you served in theater.

you need to file for compensation ASAP
Don't forget tinnitus.

Never got a rating.
Never got a rating as in all not service connected or didn't submit?

There's companies out there that will do all the leg work for you but it'll cost you if you get a rating. Cost me a little over $5000 to go from 30% to 70%. You don't pay if you don't get anything though so that is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread