Using your car stereo for diagnostics

03Steve

Established Member
Ever wish you had a fuel pressure gauge to verify pressure, or a shift light while going down the track? How about an audio warning when the fuel pressure drops below, example, 45 psi when you are commanding 60 psi? Or an audio indication for shifting instead of a bright light? I have tested and created an application this weekend that does this.

Parts Required

-Autotap software/interface ($199; http://www.autotap.com)
-FM transmitter ($20; Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc.)
-Laptop computer, or PDA
-Any factory or aftermarket radio with FM

I've figured out how to use the radio, Autotap, a laptop computer (or PDA), a $20 FM transmitter, and .wav files to provide an audio alert for just about any feature that Autotap offers. We are going to be using it on Ryan's car (stl03cobra) at Bowling Green.

Simply put, if fuel pressure drops below a certain point, a voice saying "WARNING! LOW FUEL PRESSURE." comes out the speakers. Also have an alert setup for shift points, "SHIFT DUMMY!" and excessive timing as well.

Works great! For Autotap users, this is much better than spending money on gauges, IMO. Saves cash, and keeps your eyes on the track/road instead of monitoring gauges. The only extra part needed is a $20 FM transmitter, and no wiring/labor is required.

I will post up detailed instructions, all of my .wav files, and config files when I get online with my laptop. This is really a cool, cheap feature. :beerchug:

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
All I can say is WOW....Cant wait to see this develope...Please when it gets rolling give us details/pix/video of possbile...I for one will be on this w/ the quickness. GREAT IDEA!----JT

Users who are viewing this thread