Using stock 17x8 wheels for track tires

DSCobra01

Established Member
Re-posting this here as it may be more relevant to this forum...

Does anyone have any experience using stock 17x8 wheels on the track for open track events? Nothing competitive, just on track weekends 2-3 times a year for fun.

Have you found that buying street/track or track only tires are harder to find in the 17 inch size? Should I look for a used set of 17x9 wheels or 18x9 wheels to open up my options for tires? (These would be tires I change at the track and I don't need to drive on the street with them)

Also, regarding widths, I think I want to stick to a square set of tires up to 275 max. Because the car is nose heavy as it is, I don't want to add to the understeer by throwing a tire wider than 275 in the back.

Thanks for you input guys! In the end, I'm trying to see if I can re-purpose my stock wheels for the track or if I should just sell them.

Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
All I use is 17x8's and I have no problem finding tires. I usually run 255/40 or 245/45's.

DSCobra01

Established Member
Yeah, I've been doing some research over the past day and finding enough options in the 245 and 255 range of widths. I'm not going to a big brake kit just yet, so I don't think there is a need for me to have 18 inch wheels. Also my car doesn't really make enough power to need anything wider than 245 or 255 at the moment when I think about it. I've been looking at Kumho Ecsta V710s if I want to go with an R Compound tire or Ecsta XS if I want something a little more street like.

Thanks for chiming in MFE!

Sirl

Established Member
Your probably going to want to upgrade to bigger brakes sooner than you think.
If your car is the one in your sig, you dont need 18 inch wheels at all.
17x9 Cobra rims will fit a 275 perfectly and fit over Y2K brembos. Thare are literally tons of choices in 17 inch tires for the track.

Personally, even if your new, I would get a set of track wheels FIRST, in 17. Then drive the car with the stock brakes. This way you can upgrade the brakes when your ready.

I dont know if you've done Open Track before, but many guys have cooked their brakes their first time out.

Just one mans opinion.

Enjoy!

DSCobra01

Established Member
Sirl, thanks for the info and I checked out your website in your sig and it definitely looks like you know what you are talking about :)

I would still consider myself "new" to open track though in my own car I have done three full weekends of open track at Willow Springs over the past 2 years, one day event at Pocono when I lived back east and then also the ST Octane Academy at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah driving the Focus ST and Fiesta ST.

I'm glad that you say I can probably stick with my stock 17 inch wheels and use them for track tires. Just note they are only 17x8 so that means I can't go wider than 255 most likely.

Regarding brakes, I'm definitely going to be changing the pads and fluid to something more aggressive as well as upgrading to SS brake lines before my next on track event at Willow Springs in October. The rotors still look good but if I need to upgrade, I was thinking of the 2000 Cobra R Brembo kit as opposed to something like a Willwood big brake kit right off the bat. Baby steps :)

Users who are viewing this thread