Using stock 17x8 wheels for track tires

DSCobra01

Established Member
Does anyone have any experience using their stock 17x8 wheels on the track for open track events? Nothing competitive, just on track weekends 2-3 times a year for fun.

Have you found that buying street/track or track only tires are harder to find in the 17 inch size? Should I look for a used set of 17x9 wheels or 18x9 wheels to open up my options for tires? (These would be tires I change at the track and I don't need to drive on the street with them)

Also, regarding widths, I think I want to stick to a square set of tires up to 275 max. Because the car is nose heavy as it is, I don't want to add to the understeer by throwing a tire wider than 275 in the back.

Thanks for you input guys! In the end, I'm trying to see if I can re-purpose my stock wheels for the track or if I should just sell them.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I got Cobra R's because outside of a couple tire options 17's suck tire wise. a friend is running the Toyo R1R's on his 17's and loves them but I wanted the wider 18x9.5's and 275 square. With the 17x8's you're getting a 255 max on there without insane amounts of bulge for open track

DSCobra01

Established Member
98_Undertaker, thanks for the info. By the way I just saw pics of your car in another thread and it looks amazing. I really like what you did with the 03/04 side scoops and side skirts. My car is black like yours and I really like the way it looks, it's just so hard to track those pieces down nowadays.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Yeah they are getting harder to find, I had Bullitt sail panels and side scoops but sold them like an idiot :dw:

Users who are viewing this thread