Using an iPhone 5 as a Hot Spot?

numbnutz

Established Member
In particular with Verizon. Verizon wants to charge you an extra $30/ month to use the data your already paying for?! :bash: **** them. I know where to find it in the settings but it says you need to contact Verizon. Who knows how to get around this? Thanks. :-D

Tispho

Established Member
I'm not sure how it works on iOS, but on android you find a tethering app that Verizon can't detect.

SVTmystic290

Established Member
I use mine as a hotspot all the time. No extra charges that Ive seen. Im also with verizon, maybe its part of my plan and I dont even know it.

numbnutz

Established Member
Yeah, looks like jailbreaking is the only option without paying.

I want to install an iPad mini in my dash and need wifi. Thanks guys.:rockon:

YJSONLY

Established Member
We have Verizon and don't pay for tethering. I thought this was only on plans that have the unlimited data plan.

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I have an ATT share plan and we can all use the wifi hotspot for no additional charge. It just uses from our allotted data

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
I have an ATT share plan and we can all use the wifi hotspot for no additional charge. It just uses from our allotted data

ditto.. and since my wifi hotspot is my primary internet access (through my Lumia 1520 on AT&T), I bumped it up to 40 gig per month (tired of going over my 5 gig data plan)

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I just did the same thing. I came from a plan where I paid for the hotspot (think it was an extra $20/month). I didn't even know tethering came with it, I was moslty changing so I would stop dealing with overages with my wife's crappy 250mb plan, I full expecfed to have to call customer service to have it added back to my phone since I use it everyday for work. Even the tablet I just picked up has it!

$40/month for tethering is ridiculous. Hell, I thought $20/month was a little on the high side.

JDStud6

Established Member
The new 'share' plans have free tethering included, but be careful as you can quickly go over your data allotment. The old plans charge an extra $30 to tether. I have an old unlimited plan and I only sign up for tethering when I need it, which is like one week a year. I'd rather keep my unlimited data plan and pay the small fee when I need to tether.

I know if I root my phone I can do it for free as I've done it in the past, but I haven't rooted my new phone yet.

JD

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
The new 'share' plans have free tethering included, but be careful as you can quickly go over your data allotment. The old plans charge an extra $30 to tether. I have an old unlimited plan and I only sign up for tethering when I need it, which is like one week a year. I'd rather keep my unlimited data plan and pay the small fee when I need to tether.

I know if I root my phone I can do it for free as I've done it in the past, but I haven't rooted my new phone yet.

JD

If youre talking about an android device, you dont have to root it in order to be able to do a wifi tether.

Unless you meant jailbreak for a iphone.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator

JD

Quite the opposite for me. I had 4GB and my wife had 250mb per month before, we now have 10GB/month to share. I can see that absolutely being true if you have more than a couple heavy users though.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
This.

Or go android and use one of hundreds of free apps.

If youre talking about an android device, you dont have to root it in order to be able to do a wifi tether.

Unless you meant jailbreak for a iphone.

What app? I used foxfi on my last phone but when I upgraded to an S3 it doesn't work on it. I'm with sprint if that helps and don't really want to root my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread