Used Vehicle Insights

noco5.0

Established Member
I just traded a 2020 F150 for a 4runner. Paid sticker for the Toyota but received about 4500 more than I bought the truck for and drove it for a year. There was some cost but not much. I think people can do ok in this market if they find good dealers who pay fair trade values and don't mark their new inventory way up. Dealers around me were charging close to MSRP for Tacomas and 4runners even in "normal" times so I felt like it was a decent deal.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Serious question...why in the hell would someone pay more for a used car when they can get the same car brand new for less? I guess the reason is that new car inventory isn't available. Which begs the question: if you don't need the car, why would you buy it? Are there that many people out there who are in desperate need for a car? This chart is insane!

Look at the list. Those are cars people WANT, not need.

If you want a Bronco or G63 and don't want to wait 6-12 months and likely pay more anyway because of skyrocketing MSRP and dealer markups... You pay over used.

911 Turbos people are paying $50k+ over used because unless you are ok the list, you didn't get one new in 2021 and won't get one in 2022.

I think Lamborghini announced they are sold out on the Aventador untill it stops production now - in so like 5 years out.

This is what happens when you let government control production.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Look at the list. Those are cars people WANT, not need.

If you want a Bronco or G63 and don't want to wait 6-12 months and likely pay more anyway because of skyrocketing MSRP and dealer markups... You pay over used.

911 Turbos people are paying $50k+ over used because unless you are ok the list, you didn't get one new in 2021 and won't get one in 2022.

I think Lamborghini announced they are sold out on the Aventador untill it stops production now - in so like 5 years out.

This is what happens when you let government control production.
This continues think of next year when it’s the 2nd to last model year of the challenger or more importantly Hellcat… I bet there be a rust. Also for the ZL1 camaro as it’s suppose to bite the dust in 2023 as a 2024 model.

From purely a enthusiast standpoint, quite disheartening.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
This continues think of next year when it’s the 2nd to last model year of the challenger or more importantly Hellcat… I bet there be a rust. Also for the ZL1 camaro as it’s suppose to bite the dust in 2023 as a 2024 model.

From purely a enthusiast standpoint, quite disheartening.

Exactly,

And while whatever in the pipeline maybe "technically" better, I do think we're in for a rude awakening. These new modern EV/Hybrid cars suck balls from a true vehicle enthusiast standpoint. They are as emotionally stirring and engaging as a solid Gold Gen 1 Apple Watch. Notice how people don't even blink at a $15k used Submariner that MSRP's for $8k but a MSRP $17,000 Apple Watch now only goes for $400 on eBay. Not even worth the gold it's made from.

24k Gold Plated Apple Watch Series 1 42mm Smart Watch Butterfly Link Strap 24ct | eBay

All these great muscled beasts of the last 10 years are going to be gone forever in the next 10 years.

I just watched a video with Tsuchiya and Matsuda looking at some old GTRs and Matsuda really said something that rang true.

To Paraphrase "I remember watching you (Tsuchiya) race on H-patterns and how you could clearly see each drivers style and how they shifted and managed. Their techniques. When I started we had Sequential, and boy it was fast. Now we have paddle, all done by computer. I can even tell who is driving what car anymore, they all perform the same."

With the "EV Drag Racing" I feel like we're there. Just load up your program, tune the sensors, put the car on the track hit the "go button" and the car will warm up the tires on its own, stage on it's own, watch the light tree on it's on and run down the course and stop all on its own. Why bother at all.

Like, why bother target shooting when you can just take the targert, get a pen and poke holes in it on the bulls eye and call it good.

Video if anyone's interested, in car audio is crap (As in there is none)

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Exactly,

And while whatever in the pipeline maybe "technically" better, I do think we're in for a rude awakening. These new modern EV/Hybrid cars suck balls from a true vehicle enthusiast standpoint. They are as emotionally stirring and engaging as a solid Gold Gen 1 Apple Watch. Notice how people don't even blink at a $15k used Submariner that MSRP's for $8k but a MSRP $17,000 Apple Watch now only goes for $400 on eBay. Not even worth the gold it's made from.

24k Gold Plated Apple Watch Series 1 42mm Smart Watch Butterfly Link Strap 24ct | eBay

All these great muscled beasts of the last 10 years are going to be gone forever in the next 10 years.

I just watched a video with Tsuchiya and Matsuda looking at some old GTRs and Matsuda really said something that rang true.

To Paraphrase "I remember watching you (Tsuchiya) race on H-patterns and how you could clearly see each drivers style and how they shifted and managed. Their techniques. When I started we had Sequential, and boy it was fast. Now we have paddle, all done by computer. I can even tell who is driving what car anymore, they all perform the same."

With the "EV Drag Racing" I feel like we're there. Just load up your program, tune the sensors, put the car on the track hit the "go button" and the car will warm up the tires on its own, stage on it's own, watch the light tree on it's on and run down the course and stop all on its own. Why bother at all.

Like, why bother target shooting when you can just take the targert, get a pen and poke holes in it on the bulls eye and call it good.

Video if anyone's interested, in car audio is crap (As in there is none)

I think (well hope) there be enough of us left whom are interested (self taught) or interested in the up & comers us old farts can pass the Torch down to whom want to wrench. If the aftermarket industry and can hold strong or even expand… us enthusiast and track racers will need to rebuild and or build resto mods sport and muscle cars. It’s probably not going to be any more expensive than what a new one current costs. The crutch being able to bring forth the knowledge to do so or know someone whom does. The stars have to align or else @Corbic i agree 100% are going to be in soundless : souless machines which command sub 3 sec 0-60 by themselves.

My94GT

Established Member
The problem now is finding what you want with out having to order and wait months. For example I want to step up to an HD truck from my ram 1500 but good luck finding one loaded up on a lot. At this point in 2022 I may as well wait a bit more and order a 2023 because I’m sure there will be upgrades across the board for the big three.

The question will be will my 19 ram with 66k still have peak value. Doubt it

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The problem now is finding what you want with out having to order and wait months. For example I want to step up to an HD truck from my ram 1500 but good luck finding one loaded up on a lot. At this point in 2022 I may as well wait a bit more and order a 2023 because I’m sure there will be upgrades across the board for the big three.

Not sure about GM or Ford but rumors keep flying about a new transmission for Ram. That would a serious game changer.

My94GT

Established Member
Not sure about GM or Ford but rumors keep flying about a new transmission for Ram. That would a serious game changer.
Ford I’ve seen rumors of style change up, better interior quality, and some changes likely to suspension for ride quality as that’s where they seem to lose ground in the 2500 segment. We’ll see if any of that happens

I’d expect GM to go with tue interior update they just did in the 1500 for their HD lineup and of that happens it may be arguably the most complete package

Ram, like you said, I’ve seen the potential transmission change and some other minor things like mirrors which may seem a small one but I personally hate the stupid flip up ones LOL.

I hope we see full segment changes as I’d enjoy cross shopping them. I will say though after all these mikes in my current ram it’s going to be tough to have me go back to ford or GM. They really have come a long way to give a quality product

Ramairgt1

Whipped
Established Member
When I was shopping for a used vehicle in October I tried out a '20 Explorer ST with 20k miles that was listed for $54k. That dealer offered me 22k to trade my leased '21 Civic Sport. I said screw that and started reaching out to dealers on ordering a new ST. Most of them wanted MSRP, a few wanted up to 5k over.

I found a dealer in Alabama that would do 4% under invoice plus the 1k Ford offer for those that ordered new. I also had a 1250 PCO.
They gave me 25k for my civic (sticker was around 23k).
Dealer sold it for 30k the next day to some dumbass with more money than brains.

I must be one of the lucky ones and I feel sorry for whomever bought my civic.

tistan

Established Member

I'm in the same boat. If I got what I paid for my 19 ram 1500, I'd have to throw at least another 30k at a new truck because I'm not too interested in ordering something. I don't want to keep it past 100k, and every truck on the lot has at least a $10k markup right now. I want to go to a 7.3 ford. I like my ram, but I think in 2500 size it needs more power than the 6.4 gives.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Interest rates are at an absolute all time low. There is no reason to pay cash for something right now, period. Let your money work for you in a positive way, rather than as a depreciating asset.

All things considered, I'd only go the loan route if I planned on keeping the vehicle for the duration of the loan and/or driving it close to the wheels falling off. Every bubble must burst.

I have zero faith in the average American using a low interest car loan in a positive way as in tossing more $$$ at the payment, saving $$$$ from the interest rate, etc..,

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
When I said trading, I mean trading one vehicle for another. Not necessarily trading into a dealer, but capitalizing on the higher trade in/sales price of your current vehicle, while buying a new one. So whether you sold to your neighbor, Vroom, Carvana, or traded it in at the dealer you ordered a truck from, you took advantage of the higher value of your trade.

Interest rates are at an absolute all time low. There is no reason to pay cash for something right now, period. Let your money work for you in a positive way, rather than as a depreciating asset.

This. 100%

Serious question...why in the hell would someone pay more for a used car when they can get the same car brand new for less? I guess the reason is that new car inventory isn't available. Which begs the question: if you don't need the car, why would you buy it? Are there that many people out there who are in desperate need for a car? This chart is insane!

I don’t understand this either. If you absolutely need a new car well…sorry about your luck. But if you can ring it out 2 more years or so then do that. My wifes Ford Edge is getting to that point. But we are going to ride it out.

Hell, i leased a 18 Silverado Z71 for next to nothing when i was living in MI. 700$ down and 295$ a month for 3 years (12k miles per year). I just wasn’t driving as much as i thought i would. Then i started a hybrid position at work. So my truck only had 24k on it at the end of my lease. I ended up buying it out for a steal. Dealer tried everything to get me to jump to a trailboss or something. Even offered 0 down. Numbers just didn’t make since. That was march of 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
All things considered, I'd only go the loan route if I planned on keeping the vehicle for the duration of the loan and/or driving it close to the wheels falling off. Every bubble must burst.

I have zero faith in the average American using a low interest car loan in a positive way as in tossing more $$$ at the payment, saving $$$$ from the interest rate, etc..,

This isn't much of a bubble.

Vehicle production over the last three years is at an all time low. That lack of inventory is going to reverberate for years as it transitions into the 3yr old, 5yr old and 7yr old used car segments.

Inflation has happened and your not getting that genie back into the bottle. Combine that with ludicrous MSRPs.

I paid $14k for my 2005 2500HD last summer. Insane Covid price, truck was a $8k rig back in 2018. MSRP New was $31k - $44,000 adjusted for 2022 Inflation.

Compare that to a new 2500HD at $55k + Mark Up or 6 month wait...

$14k isn't so bad, is it...

PXL_20220115_231357070_copy_2040x1536.jpg

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm in the same boat. If I got what I paid for my 19 ram 1500, I'd have to throw at least another 30k at a new truck because I'm not too interested in ordering something. I don't want to keep it past 100k, and every truck on the lot has at least a $10k markup right now. I want to go to a 7.3 ford. I like my ram, but I think in 2500 size it needs more power than the 6.4 gives.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I must be dense because I’m missing the point of this entire discussion.

Our ‘15 f150 has 95k miles. Is the point that used prices are so high, that we should trade it/sell it at these ridiculous prices and upgrade to a new one as msrp prices arent as inflated as used prices are?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

You made @13COBRA's point. Keeping your cash and using it for better investments (most 401k's returned 25% or more last year) makes more sense while you place the note risk on some financial institution at a cost of only 1 or 2% in cases of good credit.

Why would someone lay out $60k cash on a new car-- -- when that loan would only cost you a few thousand bucks over the term of the loan assuming good credit ($3700 or so interest charge on 72 mo's 1.99%).

$60k would have made someone $10-15 grand last year in a 401k or individual brokerage account.

Hell, over a 6 year term, $60k turns into $90k at 7% in any basic brokerage account.

Keep your cash and brag about something else on these forums other than how you "paid it off in a year" lmao

trxcobra

Established Member
I have no idea what is going to happen with these prices, but I do know that I refuse to sell any of my desirable sports cars for the foreseeable future. The EV push is going to make them all extremely sought after IMO. If you've got a car (or cars) you love, pay them off and keep em!

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
You made @13COBRA's point. Keeping your cash and using it for better investments (most 401k's returned 25% or more last year) makes more sense while you place the note risk on some financial institution at a cost of only 1 or 2% in cases of good credit.

Why would someone lay out $60k cash on a new car-- -- when that loan would only cost you a few thousand bucks over the term of the loan assuming good credit ($3700 or so interest charge on 72 mo's 1.99%).

$60k would have made someone $10-15 grand last year in a 401k or individual brokerage account.

Hell, over a 6 year term, $60k turns into $90k at 7% in any basic brokerage account.

Keep your cash and brag about something else on these forums other than how you "paid it off in a year" lmao
Having faith in people is commendable but the past two years have taught us many are not responsible with money. What looks good on paper and what actually happens is another story and there sure as hell is never a sure bet in terms of investing at least not in my opinion and I also don't think a one size fits all approach works.

Users who are viewing this thread