Used car prices about to go into free fall

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The worm is turning just as the fed is signaling that they are done messing around. Autos are about to get schwacked.
ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-LineGraph.png

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The worm is turning just as the fed is signaling that they are done messing around. Autos are about to get schwacked.
ManheimUsedVehicleValueIndex-LineGraph.png

They are going to dip. But they're still going to stay up YOY. They went up 35% last year, probably will drop 15-20%. The lack of new inventory will keep them high.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
They are going to dip. But they're still going to stay up YOY. They went up 35% last year, probably will drop 15-20%. The lack of new inventory will keep them high.

Agreed.

I also feel housing cost increases will slow but in any desirable area, they will continue to rise as inventory is too low.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
The lack of new inventory will keep them high.
This all day. New car supply chain issues are going to keep prices up on average used cars. Specialty and rare used cars will be interesting to watch though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This all day. New car supply chain issues are going to keep prices up on average used cars. Specialty and rare used cars will be interesting to watch though.

I think high end cars will stay steady. Too many supply chain issues. Their new offerings are even less than us poor people's choices. Porsche for example is in for a hell of a ride. The plant that makes their wiring harnesses is located in Ukraine.

Ford just announced another mid-year price increase, effective next week.

1649425438489.png

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Watched some of Mecum's auction last weekend. I gotta say, if I was looking for a used vehicle for a daily driver, I might go to an auction. There were some pretty good deals to be had on 'normal' vehicles.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ford's sales Q1 were a disaster.

Oh yes they were. But without any inventory on the ground, not sure how anyone thought it would be any different. I usually stock about 150-200 new, and I currently have 4.

Watched some of Mecum's auction last weekend. I gotta say, if I was looking for a used vehicle for a daily driver, I might go to an auction. There were some pretty good deals to be had on 'normal' vehicles.

Yes. That's kinda the norm though. No one goes to Mecum to buy a 'normal' car.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
The lack of new inventory will keep them high.

"Low inventory" is just another way of saying that demand is too high. Inventories will normalize as interest rates increase and demand is destroyed. It will not happen overnight but it is happening. Will we see a single month of y/y used car appreciation in the next 24 months? What % of car owners will have negative equity by this time next year?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
"Low inventory" is just another way of saying that demand is too high. Inventories will normalize as interest rates increase and demand is destroyed. It will not happen overnight but it is happening. Will we see a single month of y/y used car appreciation in the next 24 months? What % of car owners will have negative equity by this time next year?

I agree and disagree.

Your statement about low inventory is true...however, there truly is an inventory shortage. The bottle neck isn't an overwhelming amount of demand that is making it impossible to have stock, but the overwhelming lack of production.

Next 12 months, no. Next 24 months, yes.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Isn’t the average length of a car loan now over 60 months? Nick would know for sure. I would expect that many people will have negative equity.

Lambeau

Superfleck Moonbird
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
I think high end cars will stay steady. Too many supply chain issues. Their new offerings are even less than us poor people's choices. Porsche for example is in for a hell of a ride. The plant that makes their wiring harnesses is located in Ukraine.

Ford just announced another mid-year price increase, effective next week.

View attachment 1744924

How much? Sorry I don't understand your chart.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Isn’t the average length of a car loan now over 60 months? Nick would know for sure. I would expect that many people will have negative equity.

69.7 months.

As far as negative equity... it's hard to say. People who traded, won't be in any different shape than they would be in normal times, because they were receiving a higher trade value. There will be people who purchased without a trade, and without putting cash down that will be upside down.

It'll definitely be interesting.

How much? Sorry I don't understand your chart.

Varies by vehicle.

1649428933783.png

1649428976837.png

1649429055733.png

1649429080411.png

Users who are viewing this thread