US Coast Guard Helo Crashed in Mobile AL

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well yesterday was probably the most intense day in a while for me here in Mobile. I worked a 12hr shift and at around 730pm after I got relieved I got a phone called recalling me to come back to work. A Coast Guard 65 helo crashed in Mobile Bay doing training ops. No one knows what happened yet, but when I got back to work we had 15 or so assets onscene searching. The one person found so far was a Rescue Swimmer and he was deceased when the small boat found them. The rest of the crew members as of right now (pilot, co-pilot, and Mechanic) are still not found. We went divers down last night at around 12am but they couldn't gain access to the fusalage due to there being to much jagged metal. The nose of the helo was face down in the bottom (mud).

The search efforts won't stop until until we find something at this point. I will say that in Mobile Bay it's probably the best place to crash if you had to. It's totally concealed for the most part, current isn't horrible, and the water is warm. I'll try to keep you all posted as much as I can, but as of right now I can only say what is released in the news..

Please keep the crew members and there families in your thoughts and prayers and lets hope we find them!!

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
RIP and it's always sad to hear about accidents like this.

We had a SAR bird go down when I was on the 13th MEU a few years back (LHD6 Bonhomme Richard). Thankfully, they were able to recover all involved and I hope they can do the same here, for the sake of the families.

Users who are viewing this thread