Urgent: fuel issue

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I'm on Hot Rod Power Tour, many states away from home, and am experiencing a no start condition where we believe fuel pumps are the issue. A day ago I got a CEL for code P1090. The car would continue to start and run without trouble so I cleared the code. I went WOT today on the freeway and lost power along with the same code + P1100 and stalled out on a busy highway. My first reaction was to replaced the FRPS, which I had a spare in the trunk. When we removed the old sensor, gas and pressure came out of the rail. After replacing, we had the same condition and no pressure would build in the rail, indicating no fuel pressure. I checked the fuel pump fuse and boost-a-pump fuses and they both look good. We removed the BAP from the FPDM wiring and still had the condition. I had the car towed to the nearest dealership, Andalusia Ford in Andalusia, Alabama. I am a far way from home in Ohio. We are safe and out of harms way but are planning on leaving the car in Alabama and having the dealer diagnose.

Any ideas?

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like you either have a wiring issue or you have a Bad PCM. I would think first they check for 5VDC REF which comes from the PCM, scan your pcm and do a fuel system check to verify the fuel system is working properly.

Lightning Fast⚡Electrical Automotive Repair LLC
PM Me or [email protected]
Remote or Local (On Site) Technical Repair

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
are you still using the stock fuel pump connector? If so you can disconnect that and check for voltage on the chassis side with the tank in place, you can't really miss it.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
Got word that it's been fixed. FRPS, FPDM, all fuses fine. Turned out the fuel line in the tank melted. They replaced with a generic unit from O'Reilly for me to get it home. I get it, it was 100+*, the pumps have been overvolted for some time, I was WOT at the time of failure, and 20 years old. Wow.

I want to replace with GT pumps and return system this winter. What else to prevent fuel failures again?

Attachments

• 123_1_20220628_133317.jpeg
    123_1_20220628_133317.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 56
  • 123_1_20220628_133321.jpeg
    123_1_20220628_133321.jpeg
    181.7 KB · Views: 57

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've been playing with some sort of new edge since 2005 and that's the first time I've ever seen that happen. Hell, I've never seen it happen just in general. I think you can chalk that one up to something random.

The only thing I could possibly think of causing that is if the exhaust pipes are too close to the tank. But even that is grasping at straws IMO.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Aftermarket hat will solve that issue. No more flex fuel lines. Pumps plug right into the hat. You can run it return or returnless. Just need to plug the return line port if not using it.

Users who are viewing this thread