Urgent expert advice needed. Buying Cobra

Eleanor14

Established Member
In the process of possibly buying a low mile, all original paint Cobra. Only flaw is a small bubble area that can only be seen at a special angle, on the Looks like a small slightly raised bubble on the passenger side rear pillar close to the roof/hatch glass. How much of a concern is this. I'm looking for a collector car to keep. The car is absolutely immaculate and showroom condition.

Eleanor14

Established Member
IMG_9176.JPGHere's a good pic (sorry it's sideways, but you can see it clearly).

MG0h3

Established Member
I had something similar on my old fox. Ended up taking about 6" X 4" of metal out. Fairly common on foxes from what I've seen.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
If the current owner acknowledges that it's "formed" over time, it's rust. Of course if you only hand wash it with rinseless and stay out of the rain, maybe it never get worse than that. At the very least it's a bargaining chip.

Eleanor14

Established Member
Thanks guys. The current owner is the second owner and only had the car for about 1 1/2 years, so he's not sure if it was over time. He did mention that he has other foxes and it's very common. My foxes are not original paint, so I don't remember if this was common from factory back in the 90's.

'93blownCOBRA

Established Member
Mine is the same way also. This is the factory welding from when the car was put together. I just had my Cobra stripped and repainted and I chose to leave it this way. The factory paint developed splits in some of the panels maybe a year after I bought it new. Ford warrantied the repaint on these panels but years later the condition kept coming back.

When we chemically stripped the car it showed multiple layers of paint from the factory. My guess is that is what was causing the cracking. It looks as if my Cobra was run through the paint booth at the Ford plant 6 or 7, maybe 8 times for what ever reason. The body shop owner (of over 30 years) said he had never seen anything like that before. Ford warranty repainted only one fender and the hood.

Here are a couple of pics when the car was stripped in 2014. The second pic is of the fender that Ford DID NOT repaint. Mike just put a DA on it and went to the metal and then took the pic for me. The whole car looked this way on every square inch of the car.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread