Urgent Cobra R meet/SCMC nationals question

Cobra-R

Established Member
Last year we ran 30 minute sessions instead of the traditional 20 minute sessions. I did get a few complaints and understand we will never make everyone happy, but I want to know what you all preferr. I did the math last year, if we run 30 minute sessions, we get more total track time, but for some people 30 minutes is too long.

I sat down to start the schedule tonight and it popped into my head, what do the people want. Unfortunately I need to get the schedule finished in the next 24-48 hrs, so I apologize for the short notice.

Feel free to air your feelings and help me out.

Brian

Cobra-R

Established Member
Flying Fred said:
Does this apply to the AV8SS/Cobra R race as well, or just the OT stuff?

Just the open track portion. Dan has set the AV8SS and R race sessions', I am working that around the open tracking schedule.

Brian

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
We ran 30 min sessions in July at Gingerman I believe and I enjoyed it. I am assuming you get the same number of sessions just 10 minutes longer for each session? If they don't wanna stay out the whole 30 minutes its not like they are forced to stay on track

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Brian:

Keep in mind I'm in the AV8SS group so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's hard for me to run a 30 minute session unless the weather is 70 or below. My engine oil and diff fluid run some crazy temps that's why I prefer 20 minute sessions. But from the time the last car gets out on the track and the time the checker waves, it's only 15 minutes or so? Which is not quality track time.

Thirty minutes sessions are VERY easy to keep track of time wise. This is a plus for both the organizing body and participants as well!

My .02 cents!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I've run 15,20,25 and 30 minute sessions and believe that 30 minute sessions really give you the greatest flexibility. If you are the first car out and there are no yellow/black/red flags and it's 100 degrees plus then sure it might be a long session. We've been running 30 minute sessions at the SVTOA events for the last 1.75 years and people really tend to prefer it better.

And as Bruce said it's SO easy to keep track of when cars should be on track...... top and bottom of the hour..... Everyone remembers that!!

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
Excellent point Mark and your events are very well run. I rarely (never?) see confusion using your approach. Last weekend the Bimmers ran 30 minute sessions Sat AM, but only 25 in the PM. On Sunday they switched the run group order. Talk about confusing! The funniest is the PCC Audis at VIR. Good group of people, but they have 5 run groups and constantly switch order over the 2 day event. The only good thing about it is watching Ted get pissed off and frustrated!

I will be in the AV8 group like Bruce and Mark so it doesn't really matter to me. However I assume that there is a 30 minute gap between Sunday's races, so it would seem a 30 minute OT session would be appropriate???

Oh, one other thing I forgot about. If you only do 20 minutes and the session is stopped for some reason (pulling cars off the track, etc), then that group tends to get virtually no time. Ask Mark and your dad about that as it happened to them repeatedly during the Northwood's Saturday autocross.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Flying Fred said:
Oh, one other thing I forgot about. If you only do 20 minutes and the session is stopped for some reason (pulling cars off the track, etc), then that group tends to get virtually no time. Ask Mark and your dad about that as it happened to them repeatedly during the Northwood's Saturday autocross.

Why would I mind.... I got 7 timed laps on Saturday.....is that cause to complain? :)

St*t happens...... :rockon:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Flying Fred said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Simple humor.... or the beginning of some smack talk for next weekend's race???
I agree, I think someone has been called out now:pop:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Cobra-R said:
WOW, I thought you were faster than that. :shrug: :poke:

Brian

I'm sorry Brian, you were right, I ran 13 laps total and the Cobra could only muster a 2:40. Maybe it'll do better next year! That time was faster than Lew which should count for something.....:p

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
93SVTCobra said:
I'm sorry Brian, you were right, I ran 13 laps total and the Cobra could only muster a 2:40. Maybe it'll do better next year! That time was faster than Lew which should count for something.....:p
Alright Mark.... pot stirring time!:banana:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mark:

Is there ANY WAY the Tonester could be put in your car for the Cobra "R" Challenge race?!?! PLEEEEEEASE!!!! I have a score to settle with him!! :poke:

I'll supply the gas for your car for the race?!! Is that incentive enough?!!? :idea:

:-D

Flying Fred

"Double Nickels"
Established Member
ac427cobra said:
Mark:

Is there ANY WAY the Tonester could be put in your car for the Cobra "R" Challenge race?!?! PLEEEEEEASE!!!! I have a score to settle with him!! :poke:

:-D
Better still, how about I put Tonester in MY car? That would be fun to watch!:D

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Flying Fred said:
Better still, how about I put Tonester in MY car? That would be fun to watch!:D

Fred:

I don't like that idea NEARLY as much as mine!:xpl:

93SVTCobra said:
He will be at Mid Ohio this weekend. Perhaps you guys could convince him to stay the week!

Yeah, what's a little extra time off work!?! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread