UPR Tripple hook Quadrant and Firewall Adjuster

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Last night I embarked on an expedition to install my quadrant and firewall adjuster from UPR. First impressions upon opening the parts revealed some high quality parts with all the parts needed to install on my 04 cobra. I will start with the quadrant. Taking the stock one out without removing the seat is a PITA but it can be done losing only 1 of the pins holding the stock quadrant in place. FYI you can get an assortment pack of pins at the zone for around $2.99. Autozone trip count: 1. Now that I got the stock one out I moved to the firewall adjuster. Taking the stock adjuster or blob out as I called it is pretty easy. The UPR directions are WRONG. It is a 5mm bolt and there are two of them NOT one:) Taking them out is pretty easy with a long 1/4 inch extension. Don't worry about losing them you can't use them on the UPR adjuster anyways they are too short so just get them out so you can remove the blob. UPR says you can use these bolts :shrug:. Now that you have it out of the firewall pull off the end off the blob that has the two hooks. Bend the hooks back and pull, twist, whatever it takes to get it to move. Once you got it off you will see a rubber bushing where it used to fit in the firewall side of the blob. I cut this off and the firelwall side of the blob using a set of dikes. Now it gets fun.

Take the UPR adjuster and drop it behind the drivers side cylinder head between the cylinder and the brake master cylinder :dw:. Now that you have done that fish it out from under the car. Your going to drop it installing it so that was practice :) Ok for real now line it up with the double locking rings on the engine side and stick it in the hole in the firewall (it is easier to install with the adjuster adjusted all the way out) Now take the two phillips screws UPR gave you with the kit and drop them behind the cylinder head again as practice. Actually you can skip that step becaue the screws they give you are F#%# wood screws and have no place being used to fasten this adjuster to the firewall. The CORRECT screws to use are #8-32 X 1" with a washer and a lock washer. You can get these at autozone. Autozone Trip Count: 2. Now take your screw, washer, lock washer stackup and thread into the top hole first. Then get stackup number two, good luck threading it into the bottom one, I had my gf do it because my hands could not reach it to thread it. My advice is to prethread the screws with the adjuster off the firewall the clean up the threads and to give youself and idea of how to line it up right to get the screw to go in smooth and not crossthread! Lock it all down and feed the cable into the adjuster (don't forget to put that pos bushing on with the set screw) and through the firewall. Once you do this crank the adjuster all the way in clockwise....this makes hooking the cable easier.

Get inside the car.

Smack your head into the window to numb your head. then invert yourself and get under the dash. Hook the cable on whatever hook you like.....hook closer to the firewall = high clutch and the farther you get the lower the clutch will engage. Unless you modify the adjuster you can't use any hook other than the closest or your clutch is going to slip and smell bad. I'll go more into this in a minute. Then I used some cheep washers from autozone I had in the garage....about 1/2" bore diameter and 1" OD by about 0.100" thick to space the quadrant. On the pivot shaft on the quadrant I used 3 washers on right (as you are looking up at the quadant on your back, or drivers side of quadrant) and 1 on the left. On the second shaft I used 2 on the right and you can almost fit 6 on the left but I could only get the pin in with 5. Get you washers on the right half of the shaft and put the adjuster on, then put your washers on the left half and put the pins in. Your almost done.

Get out of the car. Check under the hood to make sure the cable is snug against the adjuster. Adjust as needed. Start the car and see where the clutch disengages. Should engage about 1 - 1.5 inches from the top of the pedal. If not adjust.

IF YOU USE THE LOWER OR MIDDLE HOOK ON THE ADJUSTER GOOD LUCK. I tried the middle and I could not get the adjuster to come out far enough to take up all the slack. The adjuster jams into the valve cover and thats as far as it lets you go. Therefore right now I'm using the closest hook to the firewall so I have a really high clutch. But it shifts much better than stock and I can acually downshift and speedshift without grinding 2nd which is good enough improvement for me.

My suggestions:

Do one of two things: Either turn down the outer ring on the adjuster so it clears the valvecover........or buy a steeda adjuster or something that clears the cylinder heads. I believe you have to use a steeda adjuster anyways if you want to use the lowest clutch hook.

The washers work but they jingle like sleighbells under the dash, and if you use washers with 1" diameter like I did on the 2nd shaft they keep the clutch from comming fully up by about 1/16". Plus, they are washers and that is just a crappy way to space this thing properly, it's a cobra, not a chevy :) Here is what I did.

Quadrant.JPG

Those are the dimensions to center the quadrant. If you go to McMaster-Carr online you can order some flanged bronze bushings to replace those washers, well almost all of them. Here are the P/N's

7815K31 SAE 660 Bronze Flanged Bearing for 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 5/8" OD, 3/4" length QTY 1 PRICE $3.47

7815K28 SAE 660 Bronze Flanged Bearing for 1/2" Shaft Diameter, 5/8 OD, 3/8" length QTY 2 PRICE $5.60

These should get you pretty close to center, you may need to sand off a few thousandths of material (approx 0.025" for the 3/4" and 0.050" for the 3/8") but it will get you pretty close without using washers. I will let you know when I get them in the mail and install them.

Also, if you don't like using flathead button screws from autozone, you can buy some self-locking flat head socket cap screws from McMaster-Carr as well. UPR convienently countersunk the holes to mouth the adjuster so I ordered a box of these:

91266A200 Alloy Self-Locking Flat Head Socket Cap Screw 8-32 Thread 1" Length QTY 1 Pack of 25 PRICE 8.18

So for 17 bucks plus shipping if you do it using these parts you should have a pretty slick install fixing all of UPR's mistakes :thumbsup:

Let me know what you guys think! I'll post pictures when I'm totally done!

Emil

Established Member
Thanks for the writeup, something I'll be doing this summer.
When trying to powershift I always miss because of not depressing the clutch enough. Kinda sad because with my old Focus I could rip off gearshifts with the best of them.

Last edited:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Emil said:
Thanks for the writeup, something I'll be doing this summer.
When trying to powershift I always miss because of not depressing the clutch enough. Kinda sad because with my old Focus I could rip off gearshifts with the best of them.

I need to adjust some of those dimensions on the writeup they were off a bit I had to re adjust the bushings. Other than that it works great on the middle hook. I went to the track last night and was consistantly powershifting with NO gear lash or clash or whatever. Definately a well worth first mod, save your tranny get a quadrant and adjuster! :beer:

Jpjr

Established Member
excellent write-up.. any pics?

one thing i don't understand is why no one else has complained about UPR's fittment and directions? i know lots of guys have done this mod and this is the first i'm reading of this. any ideas?

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Not sure but I might have higher standards than most people......I just wanted full functionality from this adjuster. This is the same adjuster that is used in the GT's and six shooters however they don't have the cylinder clearance problem like the cobras. As far as the quardrant, I called UPR about shimming it and I was told by the sales rep " I have installed one of these in every mustang I have ever owned...I never needed washers on the quadrant" His must have been riding all ove the place......oh and btw my solution is much better quality than the steeda bushing kit.....these bronze bushings are thicker and will hold up to wear better....IMHO :)

Jpjr

Established Member
cobraCMDR said:
Not sure but I might have higher standards than most people......I just wanted full functionality from this adjuster. This is the same adjuster that is used in the GT's and six shooters however they don't have the cylinder clearance problem like the cobras. As far as the quardrant, I called UPR about shimming it and I was told by the sales rep " I have installed one of these in every mustang I have ever owned...I never needed washers on the quadrant" His must have been riding all ove the place......oh and btw my solution is much better quality than the steeda bushing kit.....these bronze bushings are thicker and will hold up to wear better....IMHO :)

good deal i'm taking your advice...

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
sorry Jpjr did not get to look around for the dimensions. I'll look this weekend and post some more pics of how the install looks even if I cannot find the dimensions, I believe the dimension in question is the .75 needs to be .325 and the .325 on the other side of the same shaft as the .75 in my drawning needs to be like .280 to .300. sorry man!

Jpjr

Established Member
no prob.. i probably won't get around to the install until this weekend ealiest. i really would appreciate the correct dimensions plus any pics though. i know you don't have to do it, but if you could this thread could be the end-all install guide which would be pretty cool :burnout:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Ok here are the corrections To the original writeup. Sorry for taking so long to get the dimesions and pictures........I finally found my notes today anyways here is what the install of the quadrant looks like:

100_1294.JPG

and here is the new dimensions and diagram. Sorry for it being so crude. Let me know if there are anymore questions! Good luck guys!

Quadrant_Diagram.JPG

EWWW I need to resize that anyways thats look up at the quadrant under the dash and the diagram is oriented the same as that picture.

Last edited:

Alwaysready

Established Member
ahh Just did this mod today I CAN SHIFT AGAIN over 5000 RPMS!!!!
not to dig up old posts but for an update
i bought the UPR billet triple hook quadrant and it comes with a packet of 4 washers
to shim the quadrant so its even with the clutch cable.
I put all 4 to the drivers side of the quadrant, so washers on first then quadrant.
had the quadrant out and back together in 15 minutes.
the UPR micro click firewall adjuster did come with 2 stainless steel screws
they were phillips and went in the stock holes as described perfectly..
Tip: screw the quadrant to the firewall before hooking up the clutch cable..
its really in the way afterwards.. LOL
all in all it was a piece of cake another 15 mins for the firewall adjuster.
i think the longest part was breaking off the old plastic firewall retainer that has the 2 plastic hooks that hold the clutch cable in..
By the way in case you didnt catch it
I CAN SHIFT AGAIN OVER 5000 RPMs!!!
whoo hoo and i used the middle hook and had no problems with the firewall adjuster hitting the head or cam cover or anything.....

Users who are viewing this thread