Upper strut mounts.......giving CPR to the dead horse.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Ok, so I've seen the pics and understand the GT500's are "better" than the stock mounts. My car only has 1500 miles, so mine should be fine. I couldn't help but notice a lot of guys get the caster/camber plates and haven't heard anyone complain about those. They have no rubber or poly on them which leaves all metal to metal contact right? I can only guess that the Steedas and other adjustable upper strut mounts would have to be noisy or transmit noise like a solid engine mount. Let me know if my thinking is wrong on this. I'm planning on getting springs/shocks/lca's over the next few months and just want to do it right the first time. Mine is a DD, so that's my first priority. Tracking it a couple of times of year at the most.

stangn

Established Member
The strut moves not the c/c plates. However you may have some harmonics from strut movement, may not even notice it. If your one of the people who look for every noise, leave it alone.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Makes it sound like the GT500 wouldn't make much difference. It's obviously beefier and has a more isolation, but how much is really needed? Mine is brand new, so there are no noises yet :p

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Op, people swap to the gt500 strut mounts because the stock mount normally falls apart when you pull the struts apart. I swapped my struts and springs in my 14 in the first 1k miles so I kept the stock mounts and changed the rest. If you take your time and use a spring compressor to compress the spring before you pull the strut mount you will be fine.

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Steeda heavy duty mounts don't make any noise! I've had em for 3 years they are far superior to gt-
500 mounts and they give camber adjustments!

TrackpackGT

Established Member
I noticed in videos they jacked up the control arm some, then removed the shaft nut on top, then slowly lowered the control arm and slid everything out. I have heard bearings fall out of those mounts during removal and wondered how it happened.

bullet3z

Established Member
From everything that I have read here. This all comes down to price. It is posted over and over again that the GT500 are superior to the stock 13 and 14 mounts. Kelly even showed a side by side photo a few days ago. The GT500 mounts are better. So that is the cheapest route to go on the 13 and 14's. I have also found that the CC plates are better but most say they are not worth the money to get them over the GT500 mounts.

I am in the same boat as you. I really only want to do this once. I am torn between the CC and the GT500's. I have done a Track Cross already and I plan on doing a few more. Pus would like to take a Track Day class at some point. So for me it appears that the CC plates may be the better option.

greenscobie86

Established Member
Buy it nice or buy it nice IMO. I tried re-using stock mounts and did GT500 mounts for a friend. Both of us got MM plates eventually, no more noises or creaks.

BMR Tech

I am a fan of the GT500 Mounts personally.

I am also a fan of adjustable CC Plates.

I am not a fan of the 11+ GT/Boss/V6 Mounts

bullet3z

Established Member
Kelly, what CC plates are good to go? Or in other words. Which CC plates work good with the Koni Yellows and the rest BMR parts?

BMR Tech

My personal choice are the Vorshlag plates, or the Maximum Motorsports.

I DO have a lot of customers who have great luck with Steeda, but I do not have hands on with those, like I do with the others I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread