Upper Intake Refinishing

ml504

Established Member
So Ive been using brake cleaner to clean the upper/lower intake and IMRC plates and due to carelessness got a small amount on the top coated area of the upper intake and now have about a quarter-sized area where the coating has bubbled. What are my options? I don’t know of a good powder coater in my area, so rattle was my first thought but I want it to look good. I do have a blast cabinet but not sure if that would be too harsh? Also, what about the cobra emblem...should that be protected or polished, etc?

Thanks in advance....
Matt

96GT226410

Established Member
So Ive been using brake cleaner to clean the upper/lower intake and IMRC plates and due to carelessness got a small amount on the top coated area of the upper intake and now have about a quarter-sized area where the coating has bubbled. What are my options? I don’t know of a good powder coater in my area, so rattle was my first thought but I want it to look good. I do have a blast cabinet but not sure if that would be too harsh? Also, what about the cobra emblem...should that be protected or polished, etc?

Thanks in advance....
Matt
You can polish the lid, paint it with engine paint, leave it alone, or get it powder coated (best results). As far as the emblem, that's your choice. A new one is like $12.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RJCarp2

Established Member
The actual cast surface is very tough. So if you strip the original coating, plan on some time to sand and smooth the casting before you paint. I stripped mine with aircraft paint stripper and did a lot of grinding, sanding, and smoothing. Then I sand blasted to give it a uniform texture and finally painted with engine enamel.

I had a second intake to play with...

Attachments

• 0125192228a~01.jpg
    0125192228a~01.jpg
    404.8 KB · Views: 122

coposrv

Established Member
The actual cast surface is very tough. So if you strip the original coating, plan on some time to sand and smooth the casting before you paint. I stripped mine with aircraft paint stripper and did a lot of grinding, sanding, and smoothing. Then I sand blasted to give it a uniform texture and finally painted with engine enamel.

I had a second intake to play with...

Do you have any pics during the grinding process? I want to do this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread