Upper control arm question

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Recently, I've had some very useful discussions and advice on the subject of control arms with members like Tob, Unleashed Beast, and of course Van at Revan Racing. I'm still trying to make a final decision about what I'm going to go with, but have my upper narrowed down to a couple options.

First of all, the car is a daily driver that will see little track time, if any. We're talking spirited street driving with the odd hard launch here and there when I feel like having some fun. That said, while planting the rear end is obviously a key goal, just as important to me is avoiding added NVH. I've received all sorts of opinions on the merits of poly bushings, poly/rod end combos, and full heim units, and I think I've got my choices narrowed down to a couple:

I've been leaning towards this upper unit from Roush:
3rd Link Wheel Hop Reduction Kit for Mustang (2005-2010)

I've read a few testimonials from guys who run it, (including Tob, iirc) and they've been quite favourable. It sounds like a it does a good job of reducing the hop because while it looks like the stock unit, it has different (rubber) bushings, and a different geometry.

That said, I found this unit and was curious if anyone knows anything about it in comparison: Metco upper:
Adjustable Upper Control Arm, Upper Control Arm Sets: Metco Motorsports

It sounds like an interesting concept with the pivoting aspect. It also looks well-built. I'm just wondering if with the combination of delrin/poly, will it contribute to added NVH? Has anyone got any experience with this piece, as I can't seem to find any online testimonials (which makes me wonder if it's a good/effective unit). Also, if it matters with delrin/poly, the car does see winter weather - some snow, and sometimes the occasional salt.

I've pretty well decided I'll be going with a set of BMR billet lowers, as well as a BMR adjustable (poly ends) PHB, because I'm planning on lowering the car on an eibach prokit. So all that stuff is pretty well sorted out in my mind.

So any advice on the Metco piece would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Van@RevanRacing

Recently, I've had some very useful discussions and advice on the subject of control arms with members like Tob, Unleashed Beast, and of course Van at Revan Racing. I'm still trying to make a final decision about what I'm going to go with, but have my upper narrowed down to a couple options.

First of all, the car is a daily driver that will see little track time, if any. We're talking spirited street driving with the odd hard launch here and there when I feel like having some fun. That said, while planting the rear end is obviously a key goal, just as important to me is avoiding added NVH. I've received all sorts of opinions on the merits of poly bushings, poly/rod end combos, and full heim units, and I think I've got my choices narrowed down to a couple:

I've been leaning towards this upper unit from Roush:
3rd Link Wheel Hop Reduction Kit for Mustang (2005-2010)

I've read a few testimonials from guys who run it, (including Tob, iirc) and they've been quite favourable. It sounds like a it does a good job of reducing the hop because while it looks like the stock unit, it has different (rubber) bushings, and a different geometry.

That said, I found this unit and was curious if anyone knows anything about it in comparison: Metco upper:
Adjustable Upper Control Arm, Upper Control Arm Sets: Metco Motorsports

It sounds like an interesting concept with the pivoting aspect. It also looks well-built. I'm just wondering if with the combination of delrin/poly, will it contribute to added NVH? Has anyone got any experience with this piece, as I can't seem to find any online testimonials (which makes me wonder if it's a good/effective unit). Also, if it matters with delrin/poly, the car does see winter weather - some snow, and sometimes the occasional salt.

I've pretty well decided I'll be going with a set of BMR billet lowers, as well as a BMR adjustable (poly ends) PHB, because I'm planning on lowering the car on an eibach prokit. So all that stuff is pretty well sorted out in my mind.

So any advice on the Metco piece would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

T.O. Snake

See this post from the FordGT500.com Forum of another customer of mine. He did the BMR Adjustable Upper Control Arm with Poly Bushings and Control Arm Mount.

Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum - View Single Post - BMR Suspension Installed / PICS

I have a number of customers using this exact set up on 2007-2012 GT500's. Many are concerned with NVH. A couple of my customers have mentioned that they were very concerned their wife would not enjoy the ride quality and/or a noticeable increase in NVH. I am pleased to report that all of the wives are happy with the ride and no noticeable increase in NVH.

Van

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running the Metco upper. I am also using the BMR lowers with poly bushings from Revan along with the BMR adjustable panhard bar and brace. As to NVH, I thought I heard a little more road noise on my first test drive, but after driving around with it, I think what I initially heard was noise from cold tires and maybe a cold bushing. I haven't noticed any perceptible noise since. The bushings on the Metco UCA seems to be a lower durometer, large poly bushing which helps with NVH.

One observation I should point out is that the 2011+ uses a longer arm than the earlier models. Metco simply revises the upper bracket for the 2011+ to use the same upper arm for both applications. The brackets are not interchangable, but Metco's bracket is made to use the earlier arm. I'm not sure how much the pivoting clevis helps, but the only downside I see to the Metco is the price. But it's a well made component and if NHV is your concern, I don't see it as a problem.

T.O.Snake

Established Member
Try this

Revised link for Van

His link was direct to a single comment about no added NVH, this is the link to the entire thread.

Thanks Troy, but that one isn't opening for me either. I don't know if it's my machine, because I've tried opening a few other links on here today and they all get stuck in "thinking" mode. Weird.

On a totally unrelated note, I'm shooting you a PM about a different issue.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I can't stand that site. Loads up all the ads first.....then you wait.....wait some more.............then it opens. Click on a photo and repeat the process all over again....

jayames

Established Member
Just recently I was trying to figure out the best way to cure the horrible wheel hop with minimal changes. I wanted to leave the option of lowering open but still wanted weight transfer. I wanted absolutely no increased NVH (been there before). After plenty of research I went with the Roush upper and couldnt be happier. Virtually eliminated the hop, seems to have helped traction too and no new NVH. I'm very happy with it. Just my 2 cents. Good luck.

Jay

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
From research I have done it seems like the most quiet/closest to stock UCA you can get that will kill wheel hop is the roush UCA.

I am still running the stock UCA but lowered my car and put a MM adj. panhard bar and BMR TCA021 lower control arms on my car and have not had any wheel hop problems yet. It did increase NVH tho.

acobra03

Established Member
I have the Metco upper with HD braket and Metco lowers. I noticed very little increase in NVH, the only time I do notice it is when the radio is off and I'm coasting in gear. I picked up a very slight gear whine from the rearend. I absolutely love the set up, no wheelhop at all. I got my Metco's from Posi.

Users who are viewing this thread