upgrading rotors/brakes

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
Hey guys, i have looked and looked but can't get a decent set up picked out. I need to replace my rotors and brake pads. I don't wanna spend 3k though. I would like the fronts and depending on prices the rears also. I know slotted rotors are better not drilled because they crack? I have the stock 17x9 cobra 10th anniv. wheels. anyone have pics or personal recomendations?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Use good quality, OE or Brembo standard rotor replacements and just upgrade the pads.

A brake upgraded without a tire upgrade is no upgrade at all.

Stickier tires are still the best brake upgrade ever. Use a UTQG 220 or under tire and notice the braking difference even with bone stock brakes.

A true brake upgrade in my mind will involve buying 18" wheels and tires to fit over the 14" rotors and 4 piston Brembo calipers.:(

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Im pretty sure Jimmy knows his shit and I really cant disagree with anything he posted but what I did was get myself some EBC redstuff pads, stainless braided brake lines, and a "decent" set of SLOTTED rotors. Ive read that slotted OR blanks is the only way to go just due to increased surface area for pad contact. I havent installed the stuff yet but im pretty confident that the braking performance will be significantly improved over stock. Ive also read that the stainless lines help with a firmer pedal feel because they wont expand like rubber lines will, or at least not as much.

john3883

Slow Poke
Established Member
thanks for the input, i wouldn't of thought about tires making the difference also. I noticed when braking from 140 to 0 a week ago that the rear end wiggled so i let out some. I didn't like that so I guess I need to stop being cheap with the tires. I have 300ish to 400 rated tires right now.

Users who are viewing this thread